Terry:

I do more wiring than system installation, so this advice might not be exactly relevant to your situation.

I have found a niche doing renovations to installations that would qualify in the "Ugly Work" category. I have 40 years+ experience doing trouble-shooting. I have almost zero experience installing modern electronic key systems.

I approach builders, contractors, architects, electricians, alarm companies, HVAC companies, etc. and hand them a full-page write-up about me, my experience, and what a good installation should look like.

I also tell them that if they have a customer with weird telephone problems that the lunatics at Verizon can't fix, to have them call me. If a contractor is going to renovate a bathroom, or put on a deck, or do any other odd job, chances are that there will be wiring to do.

When a customer migrates to a TV company-based telephone service, invariably there will be work. The cable companies do not understand telephony. Period. They will 100% of the time screw things up, ranging from simply not being able to get all the phones in a business or house working, to royally screwing up an alarm system, with great potential for disaster.

I keep busy due to the incompetence of others.

As an added note: "I gotta get out of this business..." too.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"