I couldn't find it on the list, but one of my all-time favorites: AG Communications Systems

(My apologies for the long post, but I found the story very interesting, and thought this would be an excellent place to share it.)

Almon B. Strowger was an undertaker in Kansas City. The story goes that there was a competing undertaker locally whose wife was an operator at the local (manual) telephone exchange. Whenever a caller asked to be put through to Strowger, calls were deliberately put through to his competitor. This obviously frustrated Strowger so much that he set out to devise a system which did away with the "human" part of the equation. With the help of his nephew (Walter S. Strowger) Almon produced a working model in 1888.

Although Strowger did not invent the idea of automatic switching (it was first invented in 1879 by Connolly & McTigthe), Strowger was the first to put it into effective use. Together with Joseph B. Harris and Moses A. Meyer, Strowger formed his company 'Strowger Automatic Telephone Exchange' in October 1891.

In the late 1890's Almon B. Strowger retired and eventually died in 1902. In 1901, Joseph Harris licenced the Strowger selectors to the Automatic Electric Co. (AE); the two companies merged in 1908.

The company still exists today as AG Communications Systems (currently owned by Alcatel-Lucent).

Long Live The GTD-5! :bow: :bow: :bow: