I recently had an FXT 112 that all of a sudden got static on some extensions. Interestingly enough, whatever extensions had static on one station board, I could go to the same position on the next station board and also find static.

Okay, typical problem for a bad FXSRV-2 board. Whether it's a DXP or FX, when there's system-wide static that's not specific to a line or station, it's often caused by a bad FXSRV-2 board.

I happened to have a couple spare, used FXSRV-2 boards. I replaced the board, and then noticed while still onsite that my database backups were not consistently finishing. I could get it to go okay once every couple times, and then the other times I got failures. I just figured I'd keep an eye on it, and then proceed from there, if necessary.

Customer calls stating that the serial link is down ("voicemail is down, and keeps going down").

I go back onsite and switch to another one of my spare boards. Now, I can't even get a backup to complete without the failure. It didn't matter whether I was on Com 1, 2, 3, etc. (CPU or MAUX), or whether baud rate was 9600 or 19200. I could no longer get the backup to complete.

I changed out the CPU, and the problem seemed to be remedied.

Now it makes me wonder whether it was BOTH the FXSRV-2 or ONLY the FXCPU-2. I'm guessing that whatever caused the problem on the services board also caused problems on the CPU. I'm also wondering whether draining the cap on the CPU, and then reloading software (if I even can) will do me any good.

One thing I have not tried since I got the other CPU to work is to put the FXMEM/FXRAMUP-2 board back on the CPU. So far, I suppose it's possible it could have been the cause of the Com port problem, since I haven't reintroduced it into the system. I'll update once I do.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Justin