My experience with SMDR on the Samsung systems is that many outside variables can kill the connections. For instance if I am monitoring SMDR and somebody else on the network decides they would like to monitor SMDR as well. They can knock me off the connection by simply pointing there PC to the same IP and port. Basically, the connection is available to anybody that wants it. Second, if the PC some how has a memory spike and drops the connection there is no retry or keep alive on that protocol to keep the connection up. I have set up SMDR with a laptop and a cross over cable before and the connection will never drop because there is no other traffic to contend with and no other applications being ran on the laptop. So the people you have talked to are probably accurate in stating that it is an outside variable. I have had the most success by installing a PC with a dual NIC. This would act as a buffer between the network traffic and the application. Also, make sure that the PC is dedicated to this function alone. Just a short loss in communication on the PC side could cause the connection to drop. Hope this makes sense and helps you.