What happened:

The serial cable problem: We used a 110 block to bridge/reroute the individual leads. Then just run short custom patch cables to the serial hub because - just to be a bit safer - we wanted to snip all unused leads when we crimped the patch plugs. Also used termination caps on the C4 blocks which may have been overkill. The good news: the scheme works, even if the tech support of the manufacturer were non-commital about it.
Prior to that, I did try to solder 2 UTP conductors TOGETHER as an experiment and crimp them on a plug, and it's PITA. Then I used 22 AWG UTP and it was much better. Unfortunately there was no 22 size wire installed at the site.
I've posted links to a few serial-related pages. This is my latest fav for all things serial:
web page

This is an excellent resource. That being said, I do hope I don't have to see another serail connectivity problem any time soon.

The amphenol problem: That was easier. Just opened up the AMP wear adapter (covers snap off to reveal the connected pairs) and after some practice, managed to use the AMP extraction/insertion tool to wire pair 25/50 on one side to pair 23/48 on the other. I had to strip a bit of the conductors, as the tool inserts, but does not terminate. Or maybe I wasn't that good at it. Also, I thought the adapter's "sockets" would have gel inside, but no luck. According to AMP's support, some of them do have gel, but there's no way to know beforehand, you got to hit on a lucky batch, I suppose. Another item that thankfully turned out to be wrong was the adapter's wiring: somebody in the office insisted that it was wired as AMP (pairs in sequence as in pair 1 is positions 1/2, pair 2 is positions 3/4 etc). It is actually following the AVAYA (telco) wiring.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions.