Unfortunately, since UVerse and similar services such as Verizon's FiOS target the residential market, their networks aren't designed to provide business-grade functionality. One of the most notable absent features is disconnect supervision.

I don't know if their hardware can be modified to provide this (I think it can be), but the larger obstacle will be getting them to understand what you are seeking. It also doesn't matter which version of line card you are using above "D". If the disconnect signal isn't being sent, no line card is going to know any better than to keep the abandoned call on hold.

In your case, this is no big deal, but many small businesses are gravitating to these less-expensive service offerings without doing their homework. Even a tiny insurance office with a modern key system will be at a disadvantage when all of their voice mail ports are locked-up due to a few overnight calls that are abandoned. That can be a huge problem.

These service providers expect that their typical customer will just be using single- or two-line phones. For this reason, they don't spend any time or energy in making their "lines" compatible with all equipment. That is how their prices are kept so low. This is another example as to why that magic "VoIP" buzz word isn't for everybody.

Yet another case of the proverbial "you get what you pay for". Matt, I agree that a flashing hold lamp is your own fault for forgetting to take a call back from hold. If an auto attendant or internal voice mail system was involved, this would be a huge problem. The New at&t is taking the gamble and assuming that everyone uses WalMart* retail-level phones.

Truth be known, they really aren't doing anything wrong. These services fall under the category of "optional utilities", such as CATV. They don't have to follow FCC and state-level guidelines for delivery of service, since they aren't technically a regulated telco. Just like Vonage, Magic Jack and cable TV dial tone providers. This is why so many telcos are jumping on this bandwagon, since their antics aren't under the scrutiny of utility regulations.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX