Hi again,

I am trying my hand at restoring a non-valuable phone (a early '70's rotary keyset) that is "moss green". Supposedly, it came from Kirtland AFB, but it was an e-bay purchase, so it might have come from Timbuctoo for all I know.

Anyway, as I said, I am trying to learn how to properly restore phones on this before I attempt such a thing on a valuable phone, and need some advice.

First, how do I properly clean the cords? specifically the coiled handset cord. Is there some sort of cleaner and or technique that I should be aware of?

Second, the shell of the phone and the handset have been discolored over the years. I believe that UV light from the flourescent lighting that is ever present in offices did this, as the under side of the handset looks new, as well as the areas that were shadowed by the pedistals that hold the handset on the phone.

The Novus # 2 did not cut the discoloration, but # 1200 waterproof sandpaper does with some difficulty (I have been 'wet sanding' the handset)I am thinking about going one grit courser to see if it would work more effectively, then work up to 1200 then 2000 before polishing with Novus #2 and the finishing protector. Does this sound like a good plan or am I screwing this up?

Thank you for any input on this matter.

Best of the season!

Joe

Real comms took 200lb teletypes, hand keys, sounders, operators and cranked phones!