Trying to support a local vendor here; we have a system that just flat out refuses to make outbound calls using a SIP trunk. I'm an engineer with the SIP carrier, we have a loaner from the vendor here on the bench and we're working together to figure it out.

The unit is an SV8100 with a pair of blades -- a CD-CP00 and a CD-LTA -- with a single digital handset directly connected to the CD-LTA card. The unit is licensed for SIP and has an extremely basic configuration in place, with changes limited the 10, 14, and 84 series programs -- I can post them here if someone wants to see.

The behavior is pretty straightforward; we can receive phone calls but we cannot make outbound calls.

The system does register the SIP trunk, with complete and successful digest authentication, and re-registers periodically per the timer set in 10-29-15, conclusively demonstrating 2-way SIP connectivity and the validity of the SIP configuration. Calls from the carrier to the handset possess 2-way audio, so we're confident we're not looking a network error.

The handset, ext101, is configured to seize a trunk automatically, and the trunk and trunk-group options are set to use the first available SIP trunk, which in the defaulted configuration is Line 005. Lifting the handset results in a busy signal and a "BUSY" indicator on the handset's LCD. No SIP traffic occurs on the network. Likewise, attempting to forcibly select the trunk from the handset (dialing 9, then 5) also results in busy.

Based on what I think I know, we apepar to be using the correct trunk configuration, but the system behaves as if we're selecting the wrong trunk. The vendor seems confident we're configured to use the correct trunk.

I've heard now, a couple of times, the dreaded "Well, carrier X works just fine, so t must be a problem with you guys," but from what I see here, the phone system isn't even trying to connect.

We're stumped. The SV8100 clearly can communicate with the carrier via SIP. What would cause it to fail to use the trunk?