Hello all,
Currently, when we need a system phone (such as Lucent 18D), I run a 4-wire connection from the Partner ACS station port.
This is not always practical because we have long (600ft +) runs snaking through trees, poles, conduits and groundhog burrows. Some remote buildings have only one intact pair.

I'm wondering if I really need the second pair all the way from the ACS to the station.

Do I understand correctly that the outside pair on any station port on the ACS module provides only good ol' 48V power, and no signal? If that is so, couldn't I just slap a 48V DC power supply at the station and wire it to the outside pair on the jack? The obvious answer "try it" is not possible because I am currently 300 miles from the premises.

Also, our ACS module is connected to a cross-connect block through a 25-pair cable with an Amphenol connector (going through a surge protector). This is for ease of installation/removal, as the unit must be removed and stored by non-technical staff during winter (no power or heat in the building during winter).

So I am limited to 25 pairs from the ACS module. Do I understand correctly that I could feed all my system phones from one single 48V source from the ACS module, or from an external source, instead of running two pairs from each station port?

Thanks for your advice or opinions.