Yes, those 3-ring binders were in the switchroom in the 80s when I was with Rolm, At least with the Iwatsu you could program a defaulted system. The older Rolm systems used cassette tapes and a Techtran loader. Failures when loading were common. With no database, there was no dial tone, nothing. If no luck at all we'd bring tapes from another customer's system and try those just to get it going. Of course the database was different so there were many phones/trunks not working. I think in that case a new copy of the software would need to be generated in California and sent out, of course by mail. The memory batteries for those were big 12v gel cells.

I'll never forget during Rolm training in 1984 when we did the reloading of a down system and the cassette based system's load was successful, the instructor said 'I don't believe it - it worked!' It was great when the Rolm 8000 came out with a floppy disk system, they were 8" so they could fit all 180K. Not Meg, Kilo,

We recently bought some cordless phone 3.6v batteries for the Adix CPUs. I always save the original battery connectors. The new 3.6v batteries can be connected to the Adix CPU with caution - the polarity must be observed because the battery plug can be inserted both ways.