I'm one of the few that still has a caveman flip phone. My GPS is starting to act up, and the flip phone is 2 years old, beginning to not hold a charge as much., etc. I don't want to start paying for a robust data plan, it's not in the budget, I've had a tablet for several years, so I'm familiar with the android OS. I downloaded maps of most of New England to the tablet, I brought it in my car for a test run of Google Maps. It worked fine referencing the downloaded maps.I have no desire to use a smartphone as most others do with unlimited data. I prefer a laptop to go online.

Could I do the same for a smartphone - not use data while using Google Maps? Consumer Cellular will move you to the next plan for voice if you go over minutes - a couple years ago I just has 250 mins/month and if I went over they'd automatically move me to the next plan. I assume they'll do the same for data, I don't want to be moved up to unlimited data and pay $40/month or whatever it is on top of the usual monthly cost.

Also - if Wifi is enabled and connected on the smartphone at home for instance, if I went online to download something would it use the WiFi to download and not cellular data? Consumer Cellular has a couple Motorola phones I'm interested in. One for $80 (recommended by the C.S. phone rep I spoke to a while back) and one for $150. I'm leaning toward the $150 phone since it has 32 vs. 16g of memory and a larger screen which would be better for me.