So today I learned a valuable lesson. Last weekend, I installed an IP system; 2 lines, 21 rooms, a console and SIP trunks. I put in the basics and lent them my SIP connection until the paperwork was completed. Tuesday, I can't log into the remote access of the PBX. I can get to the Raspberry Pi, the customer can use his PC and credit card machine, but the IP phone and all lines are dead. Hmmm. Odd, because I can log into all my remote sites but this one. I can see the router, but no IPPBX, gateway or phone, they've all gone offline.

I ask the customer to trace the boxes. He tells me that the router has lights, the box on the front desk has lights (of course it does, the computer and credit card machine work), and the PBX has 3 lights (3 cables plugged in, gateway, PBX, and link to the router). Well, O.K. everything appears normal. I guess I'll have to come up there after church and figure out what went wrong.

Any guesses?

It took me about 30 seconds to find the problem and another 10 minutes to fix it. I ran a 4-pair cat5-e from the router to the switch at the PBX and plugged the router feed in port 1, and the PBX/gateway in ports 7 and 8.
The customer had 3 lights, only the one NEXT to port 1 was the POWER light, port 1 is deader than a doornail!

Note to self: Next time I run a cable from point A to B, PUT JACKS ON IT AND USE PATCH CORDS! I used RJ-EZ plugs, but something must have slipped. I didn't bother to see what, I just cut the plugs off and terminated the cables on jacks and used patch cords.

Lucky for me, the property is undergoing a rehab, so they don't go online for another few days. However, I'm gonna try to figure out how to bury the 360 miles and 8 hours round trip :-( Maybe I'll surcharge the next job LOL

Carl