Got a call Friday from a friend, his phone wasn't ringing. Outgoing calls were/are working fine. Ran some quick checks Friday when I went out, but I couldn't get into his apartment building's telephone closet, so I did the best I could from the Interface Jack in his apartment. Seemed to me like the ringing voltage was being shunted somewhere. My first thought was maybe a faulty protector. Today I was able to go back out and get access to the closet. I quickly found his pair, lifted the jumper from the BET to the 66 blocks, and tested right at the block in the terminal. Same story. No ringing voltage. DT was fine, calls out just fine, if I called the number from my cell phone, I could hear where the ringing should have been, if that makes any sense. The line would get super quiet, like it was being shorted somewhere. Everything else seemed normal. I could pick up the line and answer it, I heard the caller ID burst after the first "silence", even his phone in the apartment would show the caller ID when I tried calling it on Friday. I swapped out the protector with multiple others, it's a 100 pair BET and there's only about 4 active pairs on it, and dozens of pairs that aren't jumpered off to anything, so I wasn't worried about putting someone out of service.

Obviously at this point, the trouble is either in the outside plant or even in the CO, but it has me curious. A tech is supposed to be dispatched tomorrow, and I'll try to be there, but does anyone have any thoughts on what this problem might be?