Finally after years of not having cable TV, I moved the Motorola cable modem from behind the TV to the other side of the room next to the Linksys router. Now they're on the same power source/strip. I've always left my network on at all times. My phone is VoIP with an ATA, so it needs to stay on. If offline for whatever reason I have it set to ring my cellphone. Usually when leaving for work I put the phone system in Do Not Disturb which sends calls to voicemail. I then wondered if when not home during the workday (if that 'normal' workday ever returns) would there be any significant savings on the electricity bill by turning it off. Probably not - it would be the cable modem. router, and the phone ATA which is in a different room.

I recall years ago there were concerns when an old Rolm PBX lost power. It ran fine for years, the concern was when the power was restored. Sure enough, the power supply in one of the cabinets failed when power was restored. Of course it's apples - oranges really, these things weighed about 75 lbs and were probably about 15 years old at the time.

The electricity supplier in my area raised rates big time - so much that there was an investigation and the utility was told to go back to the previous rates for now. But that may be a temporary reprieve. I have switches on the TVs (not used often) to totally disconnect them from AC power when not in use. That's minimal savings, but it's a routine I'm used to. Daily powering off/on of devices may do more harm than good, I know these are made to be on 24/7, so I'm thinking it may be better to leave everything on. I wanted to see what others do.