If you're connected to the system and making programming changes, none of those changes are written until you break your programming link. Could be that you had made a change, tested with no luck, then disconnected and wrote changes to system memory and saw success. Stranger things have happened, and I've gotten snookered by not disconnecting many times.

To save yourself some grief, the off-premise transfer from a VMI card is set up to only work with Centrex lines. There are a couple of ways you can make on off-premise transfer, though. You can:

Connect a phone to an un-used digital port, set the phone to use Flexible Forwarding to a number stored as a Personal Speed Dial, then disconnect the phone. The down-side to this method is you have to reset the forwarding if the system reboots for any reason.Or:

Set up an External Networking code to dial an off-premise number and direct the auto attendant to dial that number as though it was making a blind transfer. This is unaffected by system resets, but may or may not work as well as it should depending on your system software level.

Lots of ways to make your life more interesting...

Sometimes the thoughts in my head get so bored, they go for a stroll through my mouth. This is rarely a good thing.