I'm not a big fan of posts here with no solution shared, so I'll try to elaborate upon what I think happened. First, I believe it's a Summit 80 cabinet. By default, CO lines 5 and 6 are IP channels, meaning that the system generates dial tone for IP networking right out of the box. Next, the CO line connectors are wired like RJ48X jacks for only two lines each. Pins 1/2 are line #1; pins 4/5 are line 2. The same follows for the jack for lines 3 and 4. The system auto detects the presence of CO lines and if there's no battery on them, it won't allow access to them.

Also by default, the initial four lines, plus IP "lines" 5 and 6 are in CO line group 1 for some reason. Right out of the box, the system needs to be programmed so that these lines are placed into a different group. Next, the four copper lines 1-4 need to be connected and programmed into the proper group for access.

What I suspect is that the copper CO line ports were not wired properly (maybe like an RJ14), so access to them wasn't being allowed. When dialing 9, the system always grabs the highest line number, which would have been line 6. This would happen even if the copper lines were wired correctly, but that's another subject. This explains why they were receivng dial tone even with no lines connected yet.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX