web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
reidtel Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a customer that bought a new answering machine and has it connected to the aux port of his 18D phone. I can hear the ringing generator output on my butt set but the phone/answering machine will not ring. I suspect there's not enough ring current for the phone/answer machine to ring. I ran across a similar problem with an external bell at a service station recently. Would anyone know what the voltage output is from the aux port. Thanks.

Larry

Larry

Authorized Avaya Business Partner
Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
I think it is a 48V ring on the aux port. You might need 90V to ring the Ans. machine. Not all phones will work the same either. try a different phone. Which series of 18D is this?

Z-man
Avaya SME Authorized Partner
www.omniofficetech.com
Moderator-Avaya
Moderator-Avaya
Depends on the backbone of the system.
Is this an ACS, Partner II ......ect and what type card is the 18-D running off of?

Avaya SMB Authorized Business Partner. ACIS/APSS
ESI Certified Reseller/Installer
www.regal-comm.com
Regardless of what the ring voltage is, there is no way to change it. So you can buy a Viking ring enhancer box or try a different answering machine. OR if it is a small business, parallel the answering machine on CO1 (and it will then only answer calls on CO 1, but you get past the ring issue)

I will say that we haven't had trouble with system ring voltage tripping an answering machine - where we KNOW that it won't ring an external bell worth beans.
Mike

Moderator-Avaya
Moderator-Avaya
Originally posted by mforrence:
I will say that we haven't had trouble with system ring voltage tripping an answering machine - where we KNOW that it won't ring an external bell worth beans.
Mike
Good point Mike, same here.

Avaya SMB Authorized Business Partner. ACIS/APSS
ESI Certified Reseller/Installer
www.regal-comm.com
reidtel Offline OP
OP Offline
Z-Man it's a series 1. I tested an answering machine that I had lying around on the lab system and it worked so I'll just take use it to troubleshoot their problem.

MDaniel, they have an ACS standalone. Didn't check the release.

Thanks Mike and you're right about the x bells.

Thanks guys.

Larry

Larry

Authorized Avaya Business Partner
I tested an answering machine that I had lying around on the lab system and it worked so I'll just take use it to troubleshoot their problem.

There is no troubleshooting. Either the ans machine they have will pick up or it won't. The ring voltage available at the aux port on the phone is the same as what is available on the T&R of the wall jack that the phone is plugged into and depending on the age of the system mods can be less than 60vac. Answering machines usually expect 90vac. The newer Partner equipment provides the lowest voltage, the older 206EC mods were the highest. When exactly they started skimping on the ring generators I can't remember.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Is Ext. its hooked up to programed to ring?

Originally posted by vad60:
Is Ext. its hooked up to programed to ring?
Wouldn't it be funny if it wasn't? :idea:

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,287
Posts638,785
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,079 Shoretel
188,982 CTX100 install
187,371 1a2 system
Newest Members
A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww, gohunt
49,766 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 5
dans 4
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Gary S.), 112 guests, and 168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024