Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#106080 07/10/07 08:11 AM
OP Offline
Are there any Mitel people in Gainesville,FL that would be interested in a service contract supporting an SX-200? Please email brad fuller or call 352-745-6877

Lightspeed Voice is a company dedicated to "over-the-top" customer service and technological excellence.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#106081 07/10/07 12:35 PM
what kind of SX200 is it? Analog, digital, etc? What kind of business is it?

#106082 07/10/07 01:36 PM
OP Offline
it's a 20+ year old system in a local hotel. there are two cabinets. one says sx-200 and the other says sx-200 generic. in total they are about the same dimensions as a medium sized refidgerator on its side (5' wide x 3' tall). the voicemail is stored on a 386 pc located adjacent to the machine.

i don't have any more info other than this. i hope i've cleared it up a bit. if you would like to check it out, let me know. the hotel is located in the heart of gainesville, fl.

Lightspeed Voice is a company dedicated to "over-the-top" customer service and technological excellence.
#106083 07/10/07 04:52 PM
Admin
Admin
Sounds like your typical 480 port SX-200D generic 100x or Lightwave 15.

The left cabinet should have a digital bay on the bottom with a couple of floppy disk drives and some short cards. The bay above it is probably analog with 12-14 inch high cards and slots numbered 1-14. The second cabinet probably has two analog shelves like the one in the top of the first cabinet.

Part numbers 9110-xxx-xxx would be normal for Trunk, Station and Superset station cards.

Carl

#106084 07/10/07 06:22 PM
OP Offline
That sounds about right...I'm looking for a person to hire for an initial year long service contract. A monthly fee would be paid whether or not something went wrong. But when it does, the person would need to be available ASAP.

Anyone interested in discussing this a little further? Call me at the number listed on the first post.

FYI--I own a computer networking/administration business in Gainesville, FL. Occasionally, I get a client that needs some phone service. I can handle the easy stuff, but this is WAY out of my league.

#106085 07/11/07 03:15 PM
Looks like Dane's in your neck of the woods there; you might want to talk to him about an upgrade.

Here's the deal: When a PBX is old enough to vote, you need to find a plan for replacement.

The newest Mitel, the SX200 ICP, would be a marvelous step forward for these folks, especially on a lease, and the maintenance costs are a new system are nothing compared with nursing along a 20-year-old system. Not to mention improved features...

Some folks disagree with me on this, but I think upgrading is a necessity in a situation like this. FWIW...

#106086 07/13/07 04:31 AM
Admin
Admin
I can see two problems with your suggestion of replacing a 20 year old Mitel. 1. It ain't broke. 2. Parts are still available.

If a Mitel dealer knows 200ICP, then he'll know Lightwave 15. I, of course, hate the FDD, but in a motel environment, what more do they need?

Carl, who still maintains a pair of 217's.

#106087 07/13/07 05:11 AM
OP Offline
I agree with both of you. In fact, I've mentioned the possibility of replacing the system to the hotel manager. He was receptive, but he wants to try to maintain the current equipment until he can afford to upgrade the system.

So in the mean time, since it "aint broke", he's happy maintaining it until he's ready to upgrade.

Dane, if you're interested in checking it out, let me know. You would have to come see it in person in order to do an inventory, etc. Also, you would need to impress the manager enough to land the maint agreement.

Like I said before, I do computer networking and this phone system is out of my league. The manager needs a company to maintain the system, but he has to make sure that we know what we're getting ourselves into.

Let me know! Thanks!

#106088 07/13/07 05:35 AM
Originally posted by Carl Navarro:
I can see two problems with your suggestion of replacing a 20 year old Mitel. 1. It ain't broke. 2. Parts are still available.

If a Mitel dealer knows 200ICP, then he'll know Lightwave 15. I, of course, hate the FDD, but in a motel environment, what more do they need?

Carl, who still maintains a pair of 217's.
Carl, you make a good case, and I respect your opinion: True, it ain't broke.

But it will be. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but one day soon, and for the rest of your life.

It's a tribute to Mitel that they can still be meeting the customer's needs after 20 years. But the world has moved on, and there are new features avaialble that make the change worthwhile -- 911 alarms, for example (only available in LW17+ ), or suite phones (a nice feature), phone twinning...

Okay, even if it's a Mom & Pop place out in the sticks with no need for advanced features... Parts are available NOW. But how many times are you gonna lug a new power supply out there before it stops being cost-effective? And the parts that you can get are either used or refurbed... there's no such thing as a NEW 217 processor. Technically, 219s don't even exist...

One day, it'll reach a point where you're shifting through a big pile of 216/217 processors, looking for the one that's least damaged, so that you can bring the customer back online. While they wait. With no phones.

It's time for your 217 customers, imho, to start thinking about what they're going to do when 217 parts are no longer available, and they're paying double or triple retail for a used part that might or might not work. They should be saving up now for an ICP next year or the year after.

And remember that leasing is an option, and makes the change much more palatable for people who don't have deep pockets.

Just my opinion, FWIW.

#106089 07/13/07 05:52 AM
Guys, I've been around this barn with hotel people for quite a few years. Phone systems used to make them money... now they cost them money. They're all of the mindset of "IIABDFI". Regardless of what we know as telephone people, they're driven by what they feel. The trick will be to get somebody in there who will build a relationship with the customer. Show them that you care enough to keep their POC working like they want you to and maybe somewhere down the road you can get them to see the writing on the wall before their switch becomes a boat anchor.

Just my two cents,

Harry at Telecom Equipment & Consulting
Specializing in Mitel systems for the Hotel/Motel industry
www.TECHarry.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,287
Posts638,785
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,071 Shoretel
188,981 CTX100 install
187,229 1a2 system
Newest Members
A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww, gohunt
49,766 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 5
dexman 4
dans 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 129 guests, and 173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024