web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Jun Offline OP
OP Offline
I JUST came across this forum while scavenging the net for info about the sx-50 I inherited with a small 50 room motel in the New Orleans area back in 2001. I don't see how I never came across it before because I've tried looking for help on so many different occasions, but support info is scarce, especially from Mitel itself. I've even tried chasing down a van with a Mitel logo on the interstate... unsucessfully. So before I even begin; just from all the old sx-50 posts I have read over, I already feel a lot less alone and hopeless, and I want to thank every tech answering those sx-50 posts. You guys already seem like a great bunch, and I've learned more in reading those posts than I have doing anything else.

On to business. My most immediate need (hopefully before Thanksgiving) is to get an Auto-Attendant and Voicemail system added to the sx-50. Frankly, I'm tired of answering the damn phone for people who have no idea who they are calling or for telemarketers that think they are calling a residence and for those guests that get incoming calls like it's going out of style. Ok, enough of that. Anyway, I am only assuming that VM and Auto-attendant comes together because there used to be a guy named Warren who ran ads in the back of a lodging magazine who was selling an Auto-attendant with VM (100 hours I think) for like $3000 and lodging while he was here installing it. It seemed like a great deal and I was ready for it, but I can't find the ad anywhere anymore. So I'm here to inquire with the forum techs hoping that someone is able to handle this type of job. Now, I don't know if the advertised units were new or used or if that price is even still current, because things change over time and it's been a few years.
What I am looking for now is current info on what I am looking at spending for such a setup; what options I have when purchasing such a setup; or if anyone happens to have one sitting in their shop they are unloading or know of where to acquire one (cheaply), and can make arrangements for setting it up onsite, or (depending on complexity) instruct me on how to install it and just provide phone support in case I get stuck on something.

I am totally ignorant of PBX systems so all longwinded enlightenment replies are welcome because I am great at digesting technical info, but there is so little of it and I still don't know the basics of exactly how a PBX works so I am afraid to touch anything in the phone room. It just looks huge and intimidating. All I fool with is the Attendant console and I've even had to learn a lot of that from hearsay, guesswork, and trial and error. So now I'm ready for someone from among the group on this forum to take me under their wing and really get me on a level where I can maintain the system, do some basic diagnostic work, and understand exactly how all the parts (hardware and software) in the "big scary box" work together so when something breaks, I'll be able to gather information from the system, pose a few questions on here, and then take a course of action. As things stand now, I don't know anything about model numbers, trunks, COS cards, SX-50 types, programming, etc etc. Hell, I didn't even know you could dial into the system to reprogram it until I read it here. But just give me some instructions and we'll be on our way.

So I thank all of you for your patience in reading this long post and all your replies both here and in PM is extremely welcome. I know some of you guys on here know each other pretty well so if you want to discuss amongst yourselves who wants to take this task on, that's fine too. I'll warn you that I like to learn fast and ask a LOT of questions when learning about new things. If you guys need to know anything about my system, feel free to ask on here too so I can post it for anyone else who might want to know.

Thanks again everyone,
Jun

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Short PM sent!!!

www.ResaleSystems.com 24 x 7 Mitel Parts and Free Tech Support
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Just a pure AA like EZ and others sell may be all you need. AA/VM's can get pretty pricey pretty quick and require more than just the machine. EZ is not necessarily the best, just the one I usually sell. Maybe someone in the Metairie area will chime in here. John C. (Not Garand)

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Admin
Admin
50's have a magic phrase C.O.V. :-)

Carl

Unless your sold on adding VM, CMP Callextend works well with a 50. They're easy to install, setup and maintain.

Never blame on malice, what can be adequately attributed to STUPIDITY!!
Jun Offline OP
OP Offline
John C., you're definitely right because AA is really the only thing that is critical (i.e. I got better things to do than talk to telemarketers), but I was only thinking of doing them together out of convenience for the tech/me. I mean if I decide later on that VM is wanted, then that would mean a whole other trip out here to add that too. I figure why not knock it out all at once since it was within budget.

I don't know what a C.O.V. is, but it seems from your replies like there is more than one AA available...like from 3rd party manufacturers. I thought that there would just be a Mitel SX-50 AA. It never even occurred to me that there would be more than one. If I went strictly with AA, would there be one I could add VM to later?? Because I hate making purchases that I regret later on. However, in this age of cell phones and internet, I guess it's not so critical to have voicemail. But then it seems like it would just be a nice feature to have for the guests anyway. Is most of a cost of AA/VM on the AA side or the VM side? I've always thought the AA side would cost more, but you guys are making it sound like the VM is like 80% of the cost. And I've heard about guests being able to set WU calls on their own. Is that even available on the 50?

I wouldn't count on anyone in the Metairie/New Orleans area chiming in here. I've already had two local guys not even get back to me with a quote. So I could care less. I'd rather do business with someone who is at least enthusiastic enough about what they do to be on a PBX forum sharing information with others in the field. No matte what I decide to buy, I'm buying it from someone on here that fields questions and that's just that.

Thanks again.
Jun

I don't know about 80%, but it is definitely over 50. COV is Mitel's integration for their VM. In all my time in motels (17 years) I've never used their VM, that's what cell phones are for. Motel phones are now mostly expensive alarm clocks.

Default wakeup from room in the 50 is 169. To set, lift handset dial 169 + time (in military time), hang up.

to cancel, set time to 9999.

Im not sure if you received the PM I Sent yesterday, but we can help you out with all of your needs.
Click on my contact info if you're still interested.

www.ResaleSystems.com 24 x 7 Mitel Parts and Free Tech Support
Reataylor is right, AA/VM is $$$$.00, AA by itself is $$$.00 And if you get seperate units, you don't have to tie up the VM unit answering outside calls. And the AA uses plain old single line ports, whereas, VM uses COV ports, which you probably do not have, unless you have some Mitel Superset 3 or 4 phones. (The console runs off a special port in the system, so don't mistake it for some sort of special Superset.) That means even more $, altho COV cards are coming down in cost, because the SX50 is no longer a current system. And again, VM is not in real demand any more, what with cell phones. One more thing, some hospitality franchises do not allow AA's, so if you are a franchised property, check with your rep. I know that's not good news, but neither is losing your 'flag'! John C. (Not Garand)

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
You could hook up VM without COV, but it would have to be some kind of single line integration. I hooked up an Innovation Systems on a 200D without too much trouble. But the other consideration is integration with the PMS. Not to mention the number of AA's I could have installed for all that moulah.

Lightninghorse is also right. If you're a franchise, better check on their requirements.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,695
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,707 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
3 members (dans, Toner, Curlycord), 106 guests, and 250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024