web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
I have a 3300 ICP and need the phones connected to it to have a "line 1 and line 2" appearance. Right now a phone may be primarily known as ext. 1420 but have another key as ext. 2420 for line two. This allows them to dial out on either line. Today we have a voice mail system that allows me to write scripts that allows calls to both lines to go to the same mailbox. It's a terrible VM system and I want to convert to the embedded Mitel VM system.

At my other job we had an Avaya system that would ring the second appearance if line one was busy and then go to voicemail. Both lines also shared the same mailbox. I find it odd that its so hard associate a "PHONE" with one mailbox since they are intended to be multiline. I suspect its just my approach or ignorance....Thanks for any help!!

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

If you re-rte 1420 first to 2420 on a busy and second to v/m on busy/n/a, when the call routes to v/m, it will the carry the ID of 1420. No one ever needs to be given the 2420 extension number. As long as they dial 1420 the call will route to 2420 if 1420 is busy, and to v/m when either not answered or if both lines are busy.

OP Offline
Thanks. I think this company was allowed to propagate a bad practice by giving out their second line.

Policy changes are in my future.

You could potentially make the second numbers sys speed calls to their primary ext numbers, and change their second numbers to new numbers that they wouldn't give out (like *1420 or 3420). Eventually when people weren't dialing the "old" second numbers anymore you could delete sys speed calls.

Question - do they answer the phone differently depending on which line is ringing?

OP Offline
Not really, some of them my be in an ACD queue and may answer differently depending on what the display reads. Before my time here, they got into the habit of giving their customers the second line extension. Since there wasn't anybody here to enforce good PBX/phone practices (and since the external VM system is scriptable), their behavior was just adapted to. I always thought it was odd that phones were labeled with two extensions on the buttons instead of labeled with one extension and "line 1 and line 2" buttons. I think it would be nice to be able to assign a "phone" to a mailbox but that's probably just because of the situation I am in now.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,287
Posts638,787
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,108 Shoretel
188,987 CTX100 install
187,373 1a2 system
Newest Members
A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww, gohunt
49,766 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 5
dexman 4
dans 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (pvj, James D.), 168 guests, and 155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024