Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
BCmitel Offline OP
OP Offline
Console volume adjustment.

I understand from a conversation with Mitel that this is usually done by a technician but, is there a way for the end user to adjust the volume on the superconsole 1000?

I've completely disassembled our consoles on occasion for cleaning but don't remember if there was a pot or ???

And as an aside, why on earth doesn't the console have a volume adjustment that's accessible to the end user?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I believe you can push the up arrow as the console is ringing to increase ring volume.

RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Or while talking on the console, if the problem is low volume on the handset. HOWEVER, Mitel consoles are infamous for low incoming levels. It's not really the console, it's all the noise at the Front Desk in hotel/motels! (Well, that and all the times the handset gets dropped! frown ) And an amplified handset doesn't really help that much. What you want is a "confidencer" type handset. They are extremely directional, thereby eliminating the pickup of most of the extra noise typically found around the front desk. John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
BCmitel Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the responses.

I've just re-tested this with our receptionist and confirmed that the volume controls do not affect the handset volume and are for ringer volume only. (Please tell me that your console functions differently so I can recommend a different console for purchase to replace ours.)
The manual states that the "volume A and volume V", increase or decrease the console ringer volume. It mentions nothing about handset volume.

The problem we have is with handset volume and the level is different between the three consoles we have when tested/compared at the same plid.

A conversation with Mitel went as follows:
Chat session started at 1:17:59 PM
Please wait while you are being connected to an operator...
You are now chatting with Ronica
Ronica: Hello, how may I help you today?
You: Hello. We have three mitel superconsole 1000's and one of them has lower volume levels than the other two. Can this be repaired?
Ronica: It can , a technician would need to alternate the volume level..
You: OK, our local reseller doesn't do repair, can you tell me who does in or near Victoria BC.
Ronica: i can get you the link to locate a local provider.
Ronica: https://domino1.mitel.com/Internet/PARTNERlocator.nsf/locator
You: OK, thanks, I'll try contacting some of these dealers.
Ronica: You're welcome. Have a great day!
You: Is it a common procedure to modify the volume level?
Ronica: It is.
You: OK, I'm curious because I explained the problem to our local reseller and they said that they didn't offer a repair service and the option would be to replace the console with a refurbished unit.
Ronica: The consile volume can be adjusted..
Ronica: console.
You: OK, we own our system outright and have no contract. I work on electronics. Is there a pot I can adjust myself?
Ronica: Contact a technician and see what they would do. I have placed serivce calls to adjust volume control.
Ronica: I am not a technician, so I wouldnt begin to know where to start. I would recommend that you do call someone locally to find out what your options are.
You: OK, thanks very much. I'll do that. Have a good day.
Ronica: You're welcome. Have a great day!

BC, have you tried the handset from one of the other consoles temporarily? The handsets DO fail. Of course, if the handset itself proves to be the problem, you may have trouble trying to get it back to return it to the original console! smile Have you tried adjusting the volume yourself, while using the console to talk to an extension? And the volume may reset between calls. I could have sworn the SC1000 had a volume adjustment for the handset, but I don't have access to one anytime soon to check. Like you, I don't recall any adjustments inside the console. John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
If you're active on a voice path on the console handset, the volume controls should affect the handset volume. I've got a bunch of these in hotels and know that procedure works. That being said, Lightninghorse has a good point that you should check the handset itself. Users are famous for exchanging handsets from other phones when they have a volume problem. If the handset isn't compatible, you'll often have attenuation and the volume adjustment definitely won't help that. In other words, they haven't fixed the original problem, they just gave you an additional thing to troubleshoot.

Lightninghorse made another good point (he's full of them, by the way) that the incoming signal is often muffled by sidetone from ambient sound around the console. You might try his suggestion of a "confidencer" or noise-canceling handset, but be prepared to search extensively and pay $$ to get a good one that matches the Suspeset 1000.

Back some years ago (about the time the EL/ML came out), Mitel shipped Walker W-10 handset amplifiers with the Superset 1000... kind of an implicit acknowledgment that they had a handset volume problem. Maybe your consoles are from that vintage. If they're all working this way, I'd suggest getting a spare refurbed console and see if that resolves anything.

Harry at Telecom Equipment & Consulting
Specializing in Mitel systems for the Hotel/Motel industry
www.TECHarry.com
Confidencer handset sources I can think of are WALKER, and Sandman. I think Walker was bought by Clarity, but if you 'dogpile' "walker handsets", you'll get there. And they have a multistep look-up that works fine.
And take Harry's comment about user's swapping hansets around to heart, "If they LOOK the same, they ARE the same." frown Whatd'ya expect, they're only users, not phone men. smile John C.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,769
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,456 Shoretel
188,311 CTX100 install
187,085 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 7
dexman 4
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 123 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024