web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Is it possible to use the WAN port to give the 3300 internet access? I need to refresh the licensing to add a SIP trunk, however I know it needs internet access and with the way they set up networking I can't easily get it set up without changing things somehow.

Last time I tried it for the vendor to do some firmware updates - it got an IP from my router (connected straight to a comcast business gateway (generic router with dhcp), but couldn't get out.

Is there a suggested method for internet access?

Mitel 3300Mxe running MCD 4.0, 5340 Phones
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Is your 3300 providing DHCP to your network?
The address of the 3300 has to be on the same subnet as your internal gateway, in order to get out to the internet.

www.ResaleSystems.com 24 x 7 Mitel Parts and Free Tech Support
That's what a router is for - to connect different subnets. Look just get the WAN port of the router on the same subnet as the Comcast Gateway. It would be helpful (though not necessary) to have a static IP from Comcast. Then program the gateway of your router to match the gateway of the 3300. If you want to use it for access into the 3300 make sure you program the requisite port in Your router to forward to the programming port for the 3300. I would turn of DHCP on the LAN side in your router.

If you do not have a static IP from Comcast then you can set up the WAN port on YOUR router to DHCP. This will automatically pull the existing IP info from comcast to YOUR router WAN port.

Though cable modems do not refresh IP addresses often (like DSL)- they can do so. So I usually have the front desk (since I work mostly with hotels) add www.ipchicken.com to their bookmarks or favorites so I can just call them up and verify the current ip address if I can't connect for some reason.

I would also make sure that you enable remote administration on YOUR router so you and troubleshoot remotely if you need to.

And lastly - since I am not a 3300 guy - if the system is routing out from a certain port to download info then you might have to do port triggering. A good overview of that is here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_triggering

Let me know if you need specifics - I might be able to help.

By the way you can do all of this with $30 dollar router.

OP Offline
I think this question is 3300 specific...the 3300 is connected to a VOIP-only lan that doesn't have internet access. I can get it internet access but that would require some hoops to jump through. The 3300 itself has a WAN port that seems to be exactly for this purpose (to bypass the lan and connect to internet directly), yet nobody I've talked to even at the vendor knows how it works. :-|

The reason this is a pain, is because the gateway setting on the 3300 cannot be changed without rebooting the entire system. The gateway it's using is a switch/router, but I can't disable or change that since it needs to talk to exchange for unified messaging during production hours.

Lastly - the last time we needed to do this, I did use a $30 router. I bumped the IP addy on the switch up by one, then plugged in a little linksys with the switch's IP so now the linksys would be the gateway.

All I want to know is how to get the WAN port of the 3300 to do exactly what it's documented to do!!

OP Offline
Update - I managed to figure out the routing hoops and got internet access to it via the lan.

Actually, the wan port can connect directly to the internet, and has the option of providing a ppp connection for remote access. Its likely that the next one I have to install will be doing just that.

OP Offline
Next time I schedule some maintenance I'll give it another shot. I think it was just a wierd combination of DNS settings or something.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,772
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,461 Shoretel
188,330 CTX100 install
187,093 1a2 system
Newest Members
James D., Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick
49,765 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 172 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024