Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Bob-o Offline OP
OP Offline
Good morning all! I've only been a member for a few days, but I can already see that this is going to be a very valuable resource for me!

Here's what I have--a Mitel SX-50 with a Control Card 2, generic module, ONS card (16), ONS card (8), and 2 LS/GS Trunk cards.

Here's what I am doing--I live in an old victorian home, which at one time had an intercom system in it. I am now setting up a series of older rotary phones as an 'intercom', where you can dial a number and get a certain room (no different than a hotel setup, really).

Here's what I have so far. I have the two ONS line cards (which give me 24 phones if I want) hooked up to 2 66-blocks. I can then run the Tap/Ring pairs up to each phone. That part makes sense.

The part that I need help on is--I have a 25-pair cord (Amphenol) running from the LS/GS card onto a separate 66-block. How do I hook it up from there to my outside phone service? It seems to me that I would only need one pair hooked up to the outside line.

Also, is there anyway to be able to call certain phones from the outside line (for example 'dial 121 for the second floor, etc...)?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes on, especially when it gets time to program this thing! I'm still in the installation process!

Thanks in advance, and look forward to getting some info on this LS/GS card issue.

Nothing ever happens if you don't show up!
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Question 1. Do you have a manual for the SX-50.
Question 2. Do you have a console?

Without these 2 items, you are hunting quail with a Bow and Arrow. In other words, it's REALLY tough! Without the manual, you have no idea what you are doing. You can only make program changes via the console or an RMATS module.

LS/GS card, White/Blue-Blue/White pair is the first trunk T and R. Put the trunk card in slot 10! Put the 16-ONS in slot 1, 8-ONS in slot 2. This is the Mitel recommended configuration method.

Call certain phone from phone line? Sure, Auto Attendant.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Bob-o Offline OP
OP Offline
Lightninghorse,

Thanks for the help so far! Yes I have the manual, and yes I have the console.

I have the 16 and 8 in slot's 1 and 2, respectively. I think the LS/GS card is in 4 and 6 currently (that's how I received it). I can move it over to 10.

I turned it on just to see what it did (nothing's hooked up to it). All cards were normal, except the one that's in slot 4 had '5' and '8' lit up on the red led lights, but nothing was connected to it! I moved it to another slot, and it did the same thing on another number.

So to make an active line go out to my service, hook up white/blue-blue to the first Tap Ring on the LS/GS output?

Which phone will ring then? Can I assign that phone?

Also, can I use the ONS cards as an intercom without even hooking up to an outside line?

Look at program 573 which would be the program for the 1st trunk in slot 10. Normally, the trunks would ring either to the Console, or to an Auto-Attendant.
IC is easy, just call station to station. If you don't know the numbering plan, just call the console (dial 0) from each station and have someone answer and write down the number.
I would suggest you replace the memory battery and default the system. That way, you will know 'what's what'! What version of software? It may be written on the generic module. If not, push and hold the "STATUS" button and read the version. Note that each consecutive time you push the "STATUS" button, the display toggles to another "subject". To reset it to the 'get-go', push and release "CANCEL", the push and release "RELEASE".

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Ports 5 & 8 can be straped as a Ground start lines that is why they lit up.

Bob-o Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the info again! I'm going to check it all out tonight.

here's what I found last night while trying to work out the system:

1. I hooked all cables up and clipped a phone to different ports on the 66 block. Some pairs rang busy, some didn't have any dial tone, some had a dial tone, and some didn't seem to do anything. However, all pairs read on the ONS cards in the panel with their corresponding red LCD light.

2. The console is flashing the time and right after it "88-ER0" (that's a zero after ER). I try to push buttons on the console but nothing does anything. It will then switch to a flashing "SYSTEM RESET" for a while and then go back to the time/88-ER0 flashing screen. Is there a login or something that I'm missing?

Maybe the issues here are because I replaced the battery with no power connected and lost all previous programming (which is fine as I probably wouldn't have used the other person's programming anyway--I bought the system used).

Any help is appreciated

Well, as you may have discovered by now, 'all good things come to those who re-initialize' to paraphrase another saying. Instructions for initialization are in the front of the programming section. BUT, note that it is VERY important that you have the CORRECT manual! The MS55 manual will do for MS53 and MS54. The 3504 software is a different beast. The MS51 and MS52 also have their own manuals that are HARD to find! Let me know if you find either!

Re: the red LED's on ports 5 and 8 of your LS/GS. When the system is loaded with garbage, they don't mean anything! Ditto errors and operational faults. And don't look for straps to move on the LS/GS, ONS, COV, and DNIC cards. There aren't any. Vad is thinking of 200 digital, or analog, trunk cards. Also, the driver circuit for the LED's can go south and show incorrect status, or NO status.

Bob-o Offline OP
OP Offline
The generic module that I have is the MS-55. I think I need to unplug the generic module and replug it back in. does that sound like it might help 'reset' everything, seeing as I installed a new battery with the power off. It probably dumped all programming.

Error codes are coming up on the lower right LCD display inside the SX-50 cabinet on the control card. That's the only thing I can think of to completely reset the whole system and get ready to start fresh.

Again, the system was in 100% operation before being disconnected and sold to me.

DO NOT UNPLUG THAT MODULE WHILE POWER IS ON!!!!!

And to initialize the program, you have to follow the instructions in the book! Unplugging the module, WITH THE POWER TURNED OFF, will not accomplish a thing! There is a SPECIFIC set of operations to default the system and wipe it clean or install a basic program. This is done with the power turned on.

Do you really have an installation and repair manual, or are you talking about the console manual? The I and R manual is a 3-ring binder about 4 inches thick. The console manual is about 1/2 inch thick.

Bob-o Offline OP
OP Offline
yes, I have the large manual which includes the standard practices, trouble shooting, etc...

It's a very confusing book, however. Not a whole lot of info on startup, or maybe I just don't know where to look.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,772
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,461 Shoretel
188,325 CTX100 install
187,092 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 93 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024