web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
SX50 is serial only, as is true of all Mitel. 25 pin 'D' at the Mitel, 9 pin 'D' at the typical computer.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Serial cable to the printer would most likely be a 25 pin 'D' on both ends, the parallel cable would be a 25 pin 'D' on one end and a centronics amphenol type at the printer end.

Bob-o Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for all the help, all of you! It's great to have such a wonderful resource for this specific type of information.

I fixed the trunk issue--no problems. Every phone can now dial out. Still having trouble with the TAFAS. I enabled it in the system, but not sure what the next step is. I'll go through the manual again and see if there's anything I missed.

As for the printer, my cable from the SX--50 to the printer are both 25-pair ends. The one at the printer is the D-shaped 25 pin as well and has the two metal tabs that snap over each end to keep it secure. The printer book says it accepts both serial and parallel connections.

I tried a data dump from the console. Now from what I can see, I should have info printing at the default setting, right? I did enable the things that TECHarry recommended, however I still have no printing at all. I can run the diagnostics through the printer itself and it all comes out fine (test pages, setttings printout, etc).

Any thoughts on this?

Nothing ever happens if you don't show up!
The cable you've described is a parallel connection. The printer end is called a centronics connector and won't connect to your printer's serial port. What you need is a DB-25 to DB-25 serial printer cable (get a DB-25 to DB-9 adapter and a Null-modem adapter to make the
Hyperterminal test connection to your computer.

Harry at Telecom Equipment & Consulting
Specializing in Mitel systems for the Hotel/Motel industry
www.TECHarry.com
Bob-o Offline OP
OP Offline
The only problem is that the printer has no other outputs. That's the only connection that is available.

Sounds like you need to get a serial printer if you want to capture the data. A lot of the printers came with the parallel interface standard and you had to add a serial board if you wanted that function. You might try ebay to see if there is a serial board for that printer.

Bob-o, everything I can find on the GSX-230 indicates that it is parallel rather than serial. Try it on a computer. You may have to download drivers. John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Bob-o Offline OP
OP Offline
That's what I was afraid of. I was searching around and found a bunch of serial to parallel converters on eBay and elsewhere. Would that solve the issue?

Sure, well sorta. I've never had much success with them, but I don't claim to be an IT geek, only a phone guy. Remember, '1 more thing to break'. frown Think about an old PC with a new, cheap hardrive, and Hyperterm in Windows, or DOS and a dos comm software. Then dump to your parallel printer once a week. Or just buy a refurbed serial printer, OKI 82, 92, 180 Turbo, etc, probably cheaper in the long run.

TAFAS has to be enabled in the COS for the extensions that need to be able to use it. Default is disabled.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,694
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,704 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (teleco, BobRobert), 110 guests, and 254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024