web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
TBoyd Offline OP
OP Offline
I have been recruited to fix numerous problems at a small resort. The system is a Mitel SX-200 ( I don't know the series - maybe an EX?)

I am very experienced at shooting physical troubles & all those are now cleared. There are several extensions that are dead at the switch. After checking the amphenol connectors at the back of the 2 cabinets, it is clear that water had gotten on the cabinet backs some time ago, because 2 of the amphenol connectors are BADLY corroded. I did what I could to clean them up - with no improvement. All the dead extensions are connected through those 2 connectors. I don't know how, but others in the same are still functioning.

I have a plan to fix this mess without replacing the switch. There are 4 total unused amphenol connectors on the back that are not corroded - 8 DLC slots are vacant. Assuming the DLCs are still good, they could be moved to the vacant slots & reprogrammed/activated. I am going to try to locate another tech that can do this, as my skills on programming are limited.

Any suggestions on this plan & how to coordinate programming & moving of the DLCs? You can't program a vacant slot - a DLC must be present - correct? There are no spare DLCs around.

Thanks.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

You can program a port without the DLC present or if possible do a move command. A tech with Mitel programming experience should have no problems with your scenario unless the DLCs are damaged due to the corrosion you found.

The most helpful (best practice) thing to do is a cut sheet with all info on the current DLCs including physical location on terminal blocks and then the same info from where the DLCs will be relocated along with corresponding physical location on the terminal blocks.

Jon

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt"

Mark Twain
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Truly, I would try to find a replacement cabinet. The problems are probably going to get worse. Hint: Empty cabinets are pretty cheap on E-bay. So are demo/training systems. As long as the part number on the cabinet is the same, you shouldn't be down for more than an hour. BUT, Take pictures and make drawings and mark the cables BEFORE YOU START!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
TBoyd Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks much for the suggestions. E-bay is a good idea. If I replaced only the cabinet, would program settings remain intact - with no need for programming?

Replacing the existing cabinet with an identical part number cabinet will work just fine. Everything will be 'in there', like Prego. smile Unless there is some other hidden damage. Can't imagine how/what, but strange things do happen to water-damaged equipment, from all makers.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
LightningHorse is correct. All of the programming lives in the Processor card, which is the one that has a CF card sticking out of it(Or a place to put a CF card). If you re-install it within, say 3 or 4 weeks, it should keep all programming.

Still, if there has been water exposure, you may want to check and make sure that the little piece of paper (called a MOSS sheet) is still in the cabinet. It details all the options, and if the system ever became "defaulted" (or you had to change a processor) that paper would be worth its weight in gold.

One caveat here: The DNIC cards can be pulled out "Hot" but do not try that with processor or control cards.

I don't know if it is the main cabinet, or really what system varient, yes it looks newer. Replacing the cabinet is good. Of course depending on how its connected, you may be able to use an older one.

If it's the main cabinet on a ML/EL system, first thing I'd do would be to get a copy of form 4

Always a good idea.

PM Sent!

www.ResaleSystems.com 24 x 7 Mitel Parts and Free Tech Support

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,771
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,457 Shoretel
188,314 CTX100 install
187,087 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 128 guests, and 287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024