web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#122518 12/27/04 06:49 AM
breeze Offline OP
OP Offline
We are currently looking at CISCO and The NORTEL BCM product lines as an entry to our VOIP offerings. Anyone out there have any advice as to the pitfalls of either product. I have been researching both and have heard horror stories with implementing both products in a WAN environment. I guess I am asking if there is anything to look out for from a manufacturer "side". I hate it when I hear things like "it will work great and your IT guy will hardly notice the draw on your network bandwidth"!

In addition, I am looking for any advantages of offering a complete IP based system over TDM. I keep asking myself if I were my customer, why would I want a CISCO AVID type system, or the Nortel BCM verses other TDM type systems. I am aware of the "toll bypass" and remote networking capabilities, but besides remote applications, why would anyone need a pure IP system? Set relocation is done on the patch system, and it would seem that adding more data to a network would be a bad thing.

I any case, we understand that the telephone world is becoming a data world, and we are in this for the long haul. So, any help is appreciated in our quest to understand and choose the proper product.

Breeze

Nortel Phone System Service
VoIP Demo

Nortel Phone System Service in Canada

Do you need a Nortel Phone System technician or specific Nortel parts?
Atcom to the rescue! Our telephone techs have qualified experience servicing and troubleshooting Nortel CICS, MICS, & BCM telephone systems.
Service in Canada from sea to sea.

There are several reasons to select all IP architecture. The most important is that a TDM architecture puts crazy limits on implementations. The BCM can't practically support more than 50 IP phones. You have to figure out how many PEC IIIs are necessary to do all of the transcoding between TDM and IP. The BCM is limited to 3 T1s and there are other restrictions too numerous to mention.

While from an IP perspective Cisco has a good architecture, they make two other mistakes. The first like the BCM, they are Windows based. I have used a Windows phone system before. Constant maintenance was required because of all of the security patches. You don't really want to bring your phone system down to administer security patches but better than a virus or worm bringing it down. The second problem is that they require so many servers for simple implementations. You need two call managers because of the Windows problems and you need a separate server for voice mail.

If you are looking for a simple IP solution instead of the BCM, I would recommend the 3Com NBX. It has a solid IP architecture allowing it to scale really high and runs on VxWorks so it is really reliable. It is pretty simple to set up. To set one up in the lab took me about 20 minutes. (Not exaggerating.)

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by breeze:
We are currently looking at CISCO and The NORTEL BCM product lines as an entry to our VOIP offerings. Anyone out there have any advice as to the pitfalls of either product. I have been researching both and have heard horror stories with implementing both products in a WAN environment. I guess I am asking if there is anything to look out for from a manufacturer "side". I hate it when I hear things like "it will work great and your IT guy will hardly notice the draw on your network bandwidth"!

In addition, I am looking for any advantages of offering a complete IP based system over TDM. I keep asking myself if I were my customer, why would I want a CISCO AVID type system, or the Nortel BCM verses other TDM type systems. I am aware of the "toll bypass" and remote networking capabilities, but besides remote applications, why would anyone need a pure IP system? Set relocation is done on the patch system, and it would seem that adding more data to a network would be a bad thing.

I any case, we understand that the telephone world is becoming a data world, and we are in this for the long haul. So, any help is appreciated in our quest to understand and choose the proper product.

Breeze
</font>

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,709 CTX100 install
186,795 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 12
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 154 guests, and 244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024