Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#131976 02/13/07 08:05 PM
MJRosko Offline OP
OP Offline
Here is the problem. BCM starts advertising as a gateway to workstation clients, VOIP starts to drop, CallPilot stops responding, run diagnostics on BCM HD it stallsout, replace HD unable to log on via IP address both old or default IP address, tried cross over and db9. Customer site is a three hour flight from me. Need to get some ideas as to what to look for. Thinking maybe a MSC card.

Nortel Phone System Service
VoIP Demo

Nortel Phone System Service in Canada

Do you need a Nortel Phone System technician or specific Nortel parts?
Atcom to the rescue! Our telephone techs have qualified experience servicing and troubleshooting Nortel CICS, MICS, & BCM telephone systems.
Service in Canada from sea to sea.

#131977 02/14/07 02:12 AM
That would be a good place to start. Replace the tray. And of course patches.

Marv CCNA, CTUB
TeleMarv Services (Retired)
Providing telecommunication solutions in Ottawa Canada since 1990
#131978 03/02/07 03:15 PM
MJRosko Offline OP
OP Offline
Here is a update on the problem. Replaced the MSC card and the hard drive with one that I beleive is good. The system will not boot up, I have a monitor connected to it and do not get anything. No activity from the hard drive LED. I since there is nothing happening with the hard drive of corse I can not get into the system through the net work, cross over cable or the serial port. Any ideas?

#131979 03/03/07 10:58 AM
The MSC is really just a TDM based Norstar on a single card, that draws power from the BCM motherboard. If you have Norstar digital sets and TDM trunks working, the problem is NOT the MSC. If the problem is with applications (including IP telephony), the problem is typically the harddrive or the Base Function Tray (if it is a hardware issue). Of course, as Marv pointed out, if the system is accessible, start with patches (you've got bigger problems though).

If you (or anyone else) has made any program changes via a telephone, that may well be the source of the problem (assuming you are running 3.7 or earlier software).

If I had to get on a plane to service this unit, I would take a complete BCM with me to be sure I could get it running. BFT or imaged harddrive should do it for you though.

Good luck!

Marty Beutler
Follow me on my quest to webify all of us at Webify.Us
--> Providing Business Relevance for Web 2.0 Technologies
#131980 03/06/07 02:14 PM
MJRosko Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Marty,
If I had another BCM to take that would be great, however, Yes all the digital phones work and the T1 does also, so the customer can make and receive calls with no problem. The only thing that does not work is the callpilot and the voip phones. The base function tray had been replaced by Nortel because of blown capacitors. (For Free) No the system is not accessible so I have not been to check or add any patched. I'm thinking that I may have two bad hard drives. As for the the rel it is 3.5 and I don't think anyone has made any changes via the phone, but I think I would still be able to see some activity on the monitor during start-up just like when a computer boots up I should be able to see the boot-up sequence. There is not much more that can be rplace in the system is there.

Thank
Mike

#131981 03/06/07 02:35 PM
mike,
i don't know if this is the same thing but i had a very similar situation. pulled my hair out for 4 hours till i Finlay figured out the problem.
ended up that customer installed a new video conference unit, vendor plugged into the network and assigned the same ip address as the bcm. i pulled the conference unit from the network and all was well.

#131982 03/07/07 07:51 AM
MIKe, upon power up how many beeps do you get on the POST?

Also, the monitor should display boot up process until the Win NT load screen.

I recently had an identical problem, turned out to be the Hard drive. YES, the manual states you could talk to it with the ethernet, but Serial port is recommended, I found only the serial port would allow me to talk and initialize the new HDD.

I would guess hard drive, as voicemail is inactive, this is more than likely your problem!

Good luck!! and bring your golf clubs!! Lol

Two girls later and I'm back.....lol...been gone a while but see same faces still here. Lol

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,280
Posts638,742
Members49,764
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,346 Shoretel
188,180 CTX100 install
187,022 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 15
jc2it 4
dexman 4
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (newtecky, nortelvoip), 98 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024