web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Originally posted by Jordan:
There is an external device that the installers did mark Page Tone because that was one of the things we did want when we first installed the system. It worked well.

Now that we reinstalled the system, the tone was working fine, but stopped after I requested that any paging not come out of the sets any longer. Just on the overhead.
Sounds like the device may no longer be connected or has stopped working.

Richard
AVAYA-NORTEL-SAMSUNG-PANASONIC-MITEL
www.acceleratedtelecom.com
Nortel Phone System Service
VoIP Demo

Nortel Phone System Service in Canada

Do you need a Nortel Phone System technician or specific Nortel parts?
Atcom to the rescue! Our telephone techs have qualified experience servicing and troubleshooting Nortel CICS, MICS, & BCM telephone systems.
Service in Canada from sea to sea.

Jordan Offline OP
OP Offline
I will try to disconnect any power to it and reset it and look for loose wires. Is there a diagram of how these things are supposed to be connected so I can confirm that it just did not coincidently get miswired at the same time we asked for the paging changes

The wiring should not have been touched at all in order to remove paging from the phones--that was a simple program change. It would help to know what type of paging system you have there--self amplified or 70v--and what type of unit you have that supplies the tone, in order to know how it might have been wired.

RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Was perchance your BCM rebuilding brought on by lightning/power surge damage? Any chance it also damaged overhead page piece-parts? frown John C.
Oops, just reread June 7 post. It sounds like tone worked UNTIL phone page was turned off. Well, wait a minute, it could Still be external to the BCM, IF there was originally a tone generator device providing overhead page tone. Try this explanation on for 'size'. The fact that it was not working after the rebuild was hidden by the tone from the BCM. You turned off BCM tone and it "seems" like there is a problem with the BCM, when it is really something wrong in the overhead paging equipment. Am I making sense here, or just babbling to compensate for no tone? smile John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
I got it! Page contacts from BCM were triggering a tone generator that doesn't anymore! Are contacts assignable in BCM? Was BCM removed and reinstalled and wiring not reconnected because BCM was creating tone? Is tone generator working, fried, disconnected? Be SURE and come back when you get the fix on this one. I'll bet it's gonna be one of those things that gives ya a flat spot on the forehead from smacking yourself and saying, 'Of course, why didn't I see it before?' smile John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Jordan Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a Valcom 4024C. I can't see every splice on the wiring however here is how the wiring appears to be going. The wire connected to the Page output on the BCM and the wire connected to the Aux output on the BCM both go to a plastic junction box on the wall. From there a Cat 5 wire comes out and goes to the punch block and that is where I get a little lost in the wiring.

There is also a small box marked "AUX ringer - ext 684". 684 is an Aux ringer phone.

The paging system is a Valcom 4024C.

I am pretty sure a 4024c is just a power supply for multiple horns. If you heard a tone over the speakers, there has to be something else in there.

Two girls later and I'm back.....lol...been gone a while but see same faces still here. Lol
Check programming for ext 684--make sure that desired lines are set to at least 'RING' and that aux ringer is set to 'Y'.

And yes--the Valcom 4024c is simply a 24vdc 4amp power supply.

wait--i need sleep--lol--aux ringer would just activate aux contacts on an incoming call---don't do that.

Jordan Offline OP
OP Offline
Well I traced the wires coming out of the BCM. Both pairs of wires from the AUX and PAGE port on the BCM go over to this small box that does not appear to have a model number on the front or when I open the case. It may have one on the rear, but I don't want to dismount it. It looks like a simple tone generator of sorts.

Inside the small box there is a speaker and volume control dials and a series of screw down connections for inputs and outputs. I see that the PAGE port connects to the Audio In. The Audio Out goes off behind the wall. I naturally assume that the Audio Out goes to the pager and is wired correctly since I can hear voices over the page.

The wires from the AUX port on the BCM go to the Relay connection on this box. When I trip the relay manually I can here a ring tone generate over the paging overhead speakers. This indicates that this part should be working correctly. Also when the phone setup as an auxiliary ringer does ring I hear it fine over the page.

Since both the PAGE and AUX port seem to be able to trip this device and page and ring I assume that this cannot be a hardware issue with the page amp or this device that is generating the sounds for the page.

Configuration -> Telephony -> Global Settings -> Feature Settings does have Page Tone checked and the Aux ringer and my phone both have paging enabled and page zone set to 1.

Is there some sort of setting that I am missing that sets the page tone to this zone?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,771
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,456 Shoretel
188,312 CTX100 install
187,087 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 160 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024