web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
I have a client with an MICS that intermittently loses half its' phones. When you push in on the station amphenol, the phones come back up. All the clamps are in place.

Does this sound like a problem with the tails or with the board?

D. Ocean
Miami, FL
Nortel Phone System Service
VoIP Demo

Nortel Phone System Service in Canada

Do you need a Nortel Phone System technician or specific Nortel parts?
Atcom to the rescue! Our telephone techs have qualified experience servicing and troubleshooting Nortel CICS, MICS, & BCM telephone systems.
Service in Canada from sea to sea.

If its constantly losing the same phone(s) i would suspect that its the mics. Sounds like the soldering between the pcp and the amphenol connector has popped. But your guess is as good as any in a situation like this.

Some amphenols have low profile hoods that may be coming loose. Try putting some padding between the clamp and the amphenol.

Brian Cox
J & J Communications
Former Moderator-Nortel
Former Moderator-Nortel
Amphenols come with a screw at the top. You should ALWAYS remove that screw. It may be preventing the cable from fully seating itself.

If CON is the opposite of PRO
Then what is the opposite of Progress?
Originally posted by NTlayoff:
Amphenols come with a screw at the top. You should ALWAYS remove that screw. It may be preventing the cable from fully seating itself.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Marv CCNA, CTUB
TeleMarv Services (Retired)
Providing telecommunication solutions in Ottawa Canada since 1990
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
Sometimes, well meaning techs or maint men start screwing that top screw in...what happens is that the top half comes out a bit--or the amphenol just becomes loose.

Had one like that just last week.

CICS had problems with static on a line--and phones out. took out the screws and tightened up the ampehenols---everything was peachy!!

Former Moderator-Nortel
Former Moderator-Nortel
Originally posted by JWRacedog:
Sometimes, well meaning techs or maint men start screwing that top screw in...what happens is that the top half comes out a bit--or the amphenol just becomes loose.
Fortunately, I had a customer who wanted to move his MICS system from another state to my town. Had someone remove the whole plywood with all the equipment still on it, then shipped it to me in my office.
Whoever installed this system used hex head screws. But worse than that, he took apart the amphenol cables, un-did them as far as he had to, then put a screw in the amphenol bottom end and screwed both top AND bottom of each cable to the MICS. Then he tried putting it back together and ended up cutting out some of the plastic housing to get it back over the cable and made it look like nothing was wrong with it. Couldn't figure out why the stupid cable would not come off the MICS. Talk about stupid !!!!!!
I say at the beginning,"Fortunately", because I would have been in big trouble trying to take that all apart if I was on a customer site.

If CON is the opposite of PRO
Then what is the opposite of Progress?
OP Offline
I always remove the screws. That is not the issue.

The amphenols are of the larger/thicker type.

This system has been in place for years and just started having this issue. I'm guessing, due to heating/cooling cycles, that a solder joint has broken/loosened somewhere, but thought I would post here for other opinions.

D. Ocean
Miami, FL

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,799 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 163 guests, and 244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024