web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
MrPhil Offline OP
OP Offline
Bummer... that's a shame that you basically lose all of the VM licenses that you originally paid for because they're "not compatible". I wonder how long it took the marketing folks to come up with such a politically correct way of describing it. 8)

This sort of thing is probably how Nortel wound up in trouble, especially when open source solutions such as FreeSwitch and Asterisk are available. They're potentially a bit more complicated when it comes to implementation though so it's the same old story: pay now or pay later.

Thanks a bunch for clearing that up though! We'll grab some additional licenses for them.

Cheers,

- Phil

Nortel Phone System Service
VoIP Demo

Nortel Phone System Service in Canada

Do you need a Nortel Phone System technician or specific Nortel parts?
Atcom to the rescue! Our telephone techs have qualified experience servicing and troubleshooting Nortel CICS, MICS, & BCM telephone systems.
Service in Canada from sea to sea.

Originally posted by MrPhil:
Bummer... that's a shame that you basically lose all of the VM licenses that you originally paid for because they're "not compatible".
They probably upgraded from a Flash to a CallPilot. There are no "licenses" for the Flash. CallPilot is a totally different animal. Keycodes allow the CallPilot to be expanded. If they initially paid for the keycodes for additional mailboxes in the CallPilot, they would still be there. According to the e-mail from the vendor, your client upgraded to a "stock" CallPilot, which only has 10 mailboxes from the get-go.

How are you doing this client any good by working on their system when you know nothing about it?

D. Ocean
Miami, FL
MrPhil Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by Danny_Ocean:
They probably upgraded from a Flash to a CallPilot. There are no "licenses" for the Flash. CallPilot is a totally different animal. Keycodes allow the CallPilot to be expanded. If they initially paid for the keycodes for additional mailboxes in the CallPilot, they would still be there. According to the e-mail from the vendor, your client upgraded to a "stock" CallPilot, which only has 10 mailboxes from the get-go.

How are you doing this client any good by working on their system when you know nothing about it?
LOL, that's pretty tough talk coming from one who apparently didn't bother to read the message thread. This company previously had more than 50 employees, ALL with voicemail. I was not involved with the telephone system prior to the upgrade, I began taking care of their system later. I certainly would not have recommended such an upgrade had I been involved without fully explaining to the customer what they would be losing by doing so. Hence my temporary confusion. I've somehow managed to make the client happy after all though, setting up multiple hunt groups and CCR trees despite "knowing nothing about" their system. I just started hitting some buttons at random, and lo and behold it all worked the way we wanted it to!

All joking aside, I should probably ask in turn, how are you doing this forum any good by posting such a response? Since you apparently know it all, you really don't need a forum for answers like the rest of us.

I would like to thank everyone else though, for their helpful responses.

Cheers,

- Phil

Phil- What was the previous VM installed before the Call Pilot?

Richard
AVAYA-NORTEL-SAMSUNG-PANASONIC-MITEL
www.acceleratedtelecom.com
That be the big question.

Does sound like it was a Flash or NAM, however I doubt a vendor would sell a CP in place of a NAM unless there was a history of issues with the NAM and/or it was one of the causes to do an overhaul.

=---()))))))))---=
www.curlycord.com
[Linked Image from telcopc.ca]
Toronto, Canada

Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
...Phil, when they upgraded their Norstar in 07, they also purchase a new CallPilot Voicemail system with 10/mailboxes. In order to expand, they would need to purchase additional mailboxes. Since they had downsized at that time, 10 mailboxes was more than sufficient ....
Don't be so quick to jump on the dealer. I interpret it to mean that the client was aware of the "upgrade" at the time of "upgrading" and he/she/they were content with 10 mail boxes. Clients always, or at least 95% of the time, want the lowest price available, whether it's the "smart" thing to do or not. Now he pays.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
LOL, that's pretty tough talk coming from one who apparently didn't bother to read the message thread.
One of the new VMbox extensions I set up is only coming up as an information mailbox however, and won't let me change the type.
No mailboxes available. Next?

D. Ocean
Miami, FL
OK everyone, let's try & keep this calm & cool.

Stay focused on the topic.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
MrPhil Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by rich30529:
Phil- What was the previous VM installed before the Call Pilot?
May have been NAM but I'm really not sure, since that was before I started doing the part-time admin of their system after they downsized. I've got some additional IT-related work to do for them, so the next time I'm in there I'll take a look through their old files and see if I can determine what they had.

- Phil

MrPhil Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by MooreTel:
Don't be so quick to jump on the dealer. I interpret it to mean that the client was aware of the "upgrade" at the time of "upgrading" and he/she/they were content with 10 mail boxes. Clients always, or at least 95% of the time, want the lowest price available, whether it's the "smart" thing to do or not. Now he pays.
Agreed. Please forgive my somewhat irritated response above.

One of the employees there told me that the vendor rep said something like "it might reduce the number of mailboxes you have available", so they told them up front... sort of.

The additional features conferred by the upgrade didn't really seem to be worth it for their situation at the time it was performed but I think they're coming in handy now with some of the things they've had me setting up for them recently. As far as I know there wasn't a problem with the old module but again... it was before I was really involved.

They're going to be adding additional mailboxes now, so this will cease to be an issue.

Again, thanks to all for the help and insight. I (obviously) don't do this every day, my "day job" is developing embedded hardware and software (which actually includes some telecom-related stuff, ironically), so it's nice to be able to ask questions here from time to time as the need arises.

- Phil

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,694
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,704 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (teleco, BobRobert), 110 guests, and 254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024