web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
Hi.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me a little about the KX-TA824. I was considering buying this system for my house.

1. Is this a real phone system or like an Toy 'R US version of a real PBX system? Does it pretty much have the same features of the big expensive phones systems but with less ports?

2. The Panasonic phones used for these are analog and not digital. What type of disadvantages does that give?

3. What do 4 patch intercom limitations mean? Can only a few people use the intercom/phone at the same time?

4. Is has PC based programming right?

5. Do you need to first go off-hook before you can press a DSS button for an intercom call or can you just press the DSS button for an intercom call while on-hook?

6. When you press the DSS to place an intercom call, does it automatically place you on a 2-way speaker room-to-room intercom call provide with the room provided that " Auto-ANS' is on?

7. Auto-ANS have any flashing/solid lights when activated or does it run completely unnoticed in the background.

Sorry if these sound kind of negative but since I'm so seriously considering buying this phone system, I'm really looking at the details very carefully. I don't want to be kicking myself if I choose the wrong system.

Thanks for your help.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

1. Yes it is a real phone system, its not a PBX, but then you wouldn't be putting a PBX in your house. Unless your me or some of the other freaks on this board, well nevermind that is for another board.

2. Since You have posted b4 I assume you are comparing to a KXtd series. The difference would be you wouldnt be able to use the analog portion as well as the "digital" phone at the same time. on the KXTA systems its one or the other not both.

3. Exactly how it sounds 4 Intercom conversations at once. Any more than 8 people that want to talk to each other on the phone in your house I would find amazing.

4. Yes

5. If you do not go off hook it simply puts your phone into speaker phone mode assuming you have a speaker phone. go into monitor mode if it was a montior phone.

6. Yes, assuming they are not in DND

7. solid light

1. TAW and TDA is non blocking on intercom (unlimited)
2. Press Speaker Press Button, if Auto Answer is on at called phone, two way handsfree established, otherwise ringback tone heard, press star and one way voice call established.

3. Auto Answer is a button on the phone and is controlled by end user.

4.Auto answer led is on when AA active.

Taw 848 or TDA are the best systems because of cell abilty and external power supply. (easy to replace) The Cell phones 7680 & 7690 are light years ahead of other cordless phones.

You can also program a Page button, this will one-way page all idle multibutton phones.
You can program a ring group button that will ring all phones in the house or groups of phones.
If you want cheap Outlook screenpops, use modem
on a slt port for CID info to Outlook or other PIMS.
Easy to keep in touch with remote call forwarding, just call in enter number for system to send calls to, or have this option pre set in your mailbox callers press 1 digit to go to your cell or other number. This can be silent of public option.

So you are not confused about the Intercom paths. The system you asked about is not the same systems brokeda is referring to. The 824 only has 4 pathways.

OP Offline
Originally posted by brokeda:

2. Press Speaker Press Button, if Auto Answer is on at called phone, two way handsfree established, otherwise ringback tone heard, press star and one way voice call established.

Taw 848 or TDA are the best systems because of cell abilty and external power supply. (easy to replace) The Cell phones 7680 & 7690 are light years ahead of other cordless phones.

You can also program a Page button, this will one-way page all idle multibutton phones.
You can program a ring group button that will ring all phones in the house or groups of phones.
If you want cheap Outlook screenpops, use modem
on a slt port for CID info to Outlook or other PIMS.
Easy to keep in touch with remote call forwarding, just call in enter number for system to send calls to, or have this option pre set in your mailbox callers press 1 digit to go to your cell or other number. This can be silent of public option.
Hi, brokeda.

I have a few questions about your post.

When you say "Press Speaker Press Button, if Auto Answer is on at called phone, two way handsfree established"

1. You mean Press speaker button OR Auto Answer is on at called phone, two way handsfree established right? Its not both, its one of the other right?

2. Why are the Cell wireless phones so important? Can't you get a 5.8 MHZ wireless phone from walmart and plug it into any extension? I guess the wireless phones have a lot better range if you have like 10 miles of backyard or something? (I have like no backyard)

3. Do you need special software to use a modem to keep track of call logs, abandon calls,etc...

I assume that the Call Log feature(20 per phone I read) can also keep track of all this information?

Thanks for your help.

You are at a phone: Press the Speaker button, then press the DSS button programmed for the phone you want to call, if Auto Answer is off, called phone rings, if Auto Answer is on, called phone connected to 2 way conversation. :toast:

OP Offline
Originally posted by brokeda:
You are at a phone: Press the Speaker button, then press the DSS button programmed for the phone you want to call, if Auto Answer is off, called phone rings, if Auto Answer is on, called phone connected to 2 way conversation. :thumb:
1. What about if your at the phone and just press the DSS button without first pressing speaker. Will it give you a 2-way speaker phone with the other extension(if they have Auto-ans on)?

2. If you have Auto-ANS on, does the auto-answer ability apply just to intercom calls as well as regular phone calls? Or is this strictly an intercom auto-ans?

In other words, if you get a normal telephone call from an outside line, will your phone still ring normally even if you have the "Auto-ANS" activated.

3.Do you find having the auto-ans light on annoying if you were trying to sleep or is it not too bad?

The reason I ask is because if someone has "DND" on their phone, all phones will have a red light flashing and its a little annoying.

4. Do the 24-button phones actual have 24 buttons that you can program or is it only 12 buttons with the other 12 being speed dial?

5. You can't program a DSS Key for the Guest room on a speed dial button huh? Your locked into 12 extensions?

6. I noticed on the back of the phone(PDF) they have 2 switches on the back with 3 options each.

1. Ringer with options
A. Large picture of a Bell(Loud Ring)
B SMall picture of a Bell(Soft Ring)
C X through the Bell(probably No ring)

and

2. Back Lite
A. 2(probably very strong)
B 1(Probably very Weak)
B 0( I think this is turned off completely)

Can you verify if turning that switch to "O" will in fact turn off the backlight? I kind of like it pitch dark when I'm watching movies or sleeping.

You know the devil is really in the details.

I'm know so much more about this system now then I did a few days ago.

Thanks for your help.

1. You will have to press Intercom 1st. which would start your speakerphone then press the DSS button. Then you will have the 2 way (assuming Aut-ans is on)
2. Intercom only, outside calls ring normally.
3. the light is not a spot light, not brite at all. In programming you can change the status of phones so you do not see the flashing DSS buttons.
4. That is correct 12 and 12
5. correct, I agree sorta crappy.
6. correct settings, yes 0 turns off the backlight.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
#5. You can program the button to be a DSS key for the guest room; it just won't provide a busy lamp. Remember that a lot of people just put the first X number of stations as DSS/BLF on the lighted keys and include their own extension. There's no reason why you can't select your own handfull of extensions on these keys and each phone can be different.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
OP Offline
Wow,I am kind of confused because OhioTelecom said its locked at 12 and 12 but ev607797 said you can have all 24 as DSS(just no light)

1. How exactly would you set the other 12 to be DSS extensions?

I see you can go to the "Flexible PF keys/station speed dial. I'm guessing these are the other 12 keys. Would this be considered a "VTR EXTN" assigned to the key?

2. Could the phone still recognize this as an intercom call if you could put it on the other button?

3. So if I assign a button as a DSS button for Kitchen and I press that button while my phone is on-hook. I will get nothing or will it activate a speaker phone and intercom for the kitchen?

4. Is it a 2-step process of:

A. Pressing Speaker or Intercom
B. Pressing the DSS Key

Do I understand this correct because someone in another forum told me that it was a 1 step feature?

Thanks for your help guys.

1. sorry to confuse you, yes the other 12 buttons can be used for DSS buttons they just dont lite up when in use. they would act the same otherwise.

2. yes still the same

3. 2 step process. the higher up systems make it a 1 step process.

1 You can set the pF keys to call an intercom, doorphone, make a Page of any kind and several other features that dont require a light. Call it anything you want, it works.
2 ??
3 You need KXTD or TDA to get 1 step intercom, then you could have 24 lighted keys, or 36 with add on.
4 I think this has been covered many times: if its a TA system or TAW, 2 step process.

Find a dealer and demo the system.

Oh, on the Backlights, thats why they call them a Backlight, it just a green glow. Go find a dealer and look at the Backlight, we could describe it till Kingdom Come here and you still would not be sure.
:toast:

OP Offline
Ok, I think I almost have it figured out.

A few things are still a little unclear but I think you would know the answer.

DDS EXTN 108 vs VTR EXTN 108.

I'm pretty sure that:

DDS is a direct button to access an extension.

VTR= ?

What does this “VTR EXTN" stand for?

I'm looking under "Flexible PF / Station Speed dial" area. All I see that look close to an extension DSS key is the VTR EXTN numbers which you can assign to a button.

Can anyone help me out with the issue of

DSS EXTN vs VTR EXTN?

Thanks for your help!!

DSS is: direct station select
It can be used for intercom calling, transfering and as a busy indicator.
VTR is: voice mail transfer
It is used to transfer a call directly into a persons mail box.
While on a call; press VTR, a DSS key, (or dial an Ext.) and hang up.
The call goes directly into that mail box.
When setting up a VTR key you would use the pilot port Ext. of the voice mail.
MrG

OP Offline
Originally posted by MrGemini:
DSS is: direct station select
It can be used for intercom calling, transfering and as a busy indicator.
VTR is: voice mail transfer
It is used to transfer a call directly into a persons mail box.
While on a call; press VTR, a DSS key, (or dial an Ext.) and hang up.
The call goes directly into that mail box.
When setting up a VTR key you would use the pilot port Ext. of the voice mail.
MrG
Thanks for answering my question.

This kind of brings me to another very important question. I see how to add DSS to the lighted buttons but how in the world do you added it to the flexible PF keys?
The option does not seem to exist. The only thing that has EXTN here is the "VTR EXTN" which is voicemail not DSS.
[Linked Image from geocities.com]

You can't.
If there is no LED then how is a DSS button to indicate "busy"?
MrG

OP Offline
Originally posted by MrGemini:
You can't.
If there is no LED then how is a DSS button to indicate "busy"?
MrG
Both other people told me " 1. sorry to confuse you, yes the other 12 buttons can be used for DSS buttons they just dont lite up when in use. they would act the same otherwise. "

I understand they won't light up to indicate being busy however I don't see how to assign them to the button. Please see the screen shot 2 post up. Do you see any option that will allow you to assign button to call a room on intercom without having to memorize the extension number?

Please let me know!!

Thanks.

Then it wouldn't be a true DSS button it would be
a "one touch"
Just put the extension number in there without any access code.
MrG

OP Offline
So you’re saying that normally 1-touch does not automatically access a CO trunk line?

You normally have to type " 9-817-555-8746" to call a number.

So if you use 1-Touch and say " 108" it will dial the extension number without first accessing a trunk line?

Are you 100% absolutely positive because it would really screw things up if I was not able to use all 24 buttons for trunk lines.

Thanks for your help.

With all due respect,
what we are "100% absolutely positive" of is that your obviously in over your head.
Call a dealer and have them bring out a demo or make arrangements for you to see and "play" with a working system.
MrG

use all pf buttons for exts and use speeddial
for your dialing out!!

OP Offline
Originally posted by kxtda:
use all pf buttons for exts and use speeddial
for your dialing out!!
See, I get conflicting information.

This is the exact opposite of what I'm talking about.

KXTDA, your telling me the speed dial buttons are for dialing out only?

Because others tell me they can be assign to extensions.

With all due respect MrGemini, I have been screwed by salesmen telling me " Yes" to everything in order to get a sale then after I find out it does not work, refusing to return it/fix it.

If I'm keeping a system for 20+ years, I am going to do my homework before I make a decision and paying for all the installation. I must be certain before I do this that I have picked the right system for my needs.

For example, if I'm buying a car.

Step#1 Find the Brand I want.
Step#2 Find the model I want.
Step#3 Make sure it does everything I need it to do such as enough trunk space for golf bag, 0-60 speed, cruise control, reliability reports, safety test, etc..

Step#4 Then I go test drive it to make sure.
Step#5 Buy the car.

What do you expect me to go, drive into the first car dealer I find and say, hey look, this one is red, I'll take it.

I still don't have enough information to break the Panasonic/Samsung tie. I have constructed a spreadsheet of the advantages and disadvantages of both side in a side-by-side comparison.

So if you think I'm wasting your time, then just ignore this post and go about your own business. No one is forcing you to read this or respond.

Believe it or not there are actually some people in here who care about helping others.

To Quote Enstien:
Porgram a Pf Button (button on the right side of
button field that looks just like the buttons on the left side except do not illuminate when activated or when stimulated by other stations)
Press PROGRAM
Press button you wish to program.
Dial extension number or feature number AKA "PAGE"
"PAGE ANSWER" "DOORPHONE CALL" "GROUP RING" ETC. ETC. ETC.
Press "AUTO DIAL/STORE

Although most customers I have observed just use the PAGE and a PAGE ANSWER button. It's a lot easier just to page and say JIM BOB pick up the phone, JIM BOB goes to any phone lifts reciever or press SPEAKER and press PAGE ANSWER. If cordless phones or cell phones involved, have a group ring button on all phones, push button and all phones ring or group of phones ring.

If you are really going to keep this system 20 years, better stick with Pan or Nortel.
Norstar and Panasonic can use phones made 20 years ago. Most other systems come and go and are replaced with totally new system every 5 -6 years, some sooner, some later. If you had a Pan system fron 1988 and the phones were getting old and funky, just pop on some new modern phones, Bada Boom, Bada Bing, new system and you still know how it works.
Also I don't think you will keep the system no 20 years. computer- no. Tv -NO. Stereo- Maybe.

You need to get with a dealer and set up contract so that all concerns are met.
First, if I were your dealer, I'd be wary of some one so picky. This is a lot of programming and testing. You would pay for 80% of it on installation. We would get all info from you as how to set up system. When done the system would be password protected until you were in agreement that system worked as outlined in contract. Then you would pay remaining balance. Any changes outside of the contract specs would be T&M.
When check clears, we would give you password to system. Then, software wise, it's your baby.
If there were a problem we would call in and upload the last backup we made to set it right,
then make any needed changes and charge you for it. Or come out if we had to.

You can't do it all from the computer.
IMHO all home phones should have backlight on the keypad and display, a battery backup large enough to run the system for a few hours, and power fail
jacks and phones in case system gets zapped, also quick disconnect for CO lines from system.

A spread sheet to buy a little phone system??
My GOD Jim!!! Will it never end??

:toast:

Sorry. Went and looked at Samsung phones. UGLY!!
Handset sucks. If it's Not K Style, it sucks.
Anyone who uses phone a lot knows why.
My GOD Jim, is that an Andorian snake in your pants or are you just glad to see my new assistant????????

cool

OP Offline
brokeda, the phone system I bought for my office, we kept for over 20 years.

The phone system I bought for my current house, I think we have used for over 10 years without any need to ever change it.

Since the installation is so much money, I did not want to pay for something that I would have to return and get replaced again unless I was sure I liked it.

Both the systems I have in my Office and house are normally full business systems. I have run into trouble with both of them lacking features and abilities.

For example, the Samsung has a 2-line Display on all phones. When an inbound call comes in, you would expect to see both Caller ID name and Caller ID number on the display right?

Instead I will only show the number and the trunk it came in on.

So for my house, I would see the phone ring and it would say
" 8175554745"
" Trunk 01"

Personally, I don't care because in my house everything is going to be "TRUNK 01" but I care about Caller ID name on those calls.

The NEC phone I have in my house does not keep any call logs or call history on any phone. So I can’t find out if I missed a call or dial someone’s number. I have to take a pad of paper and a pen and physically write down the caller ID information.

brokeda, you seem like a good guy and I think I would deal with you if I was in your area. I have had phone installers before in the past charge me $6,000 dollars for a card on a phone system. Only to find that the entire phone system with all its expansion cabinets, cards, 100+ phones is not even worth $5 to anyone. The new installer in my office told me that if I paid him $20, he would take it to the trash for me.

I called people to see if they wanted the system, they would not even offer me $1 for it because they say all the parts are worthless however I got charged like $6,000 from this guy for 1 card in the system.

The Panasonic seem like a good system however I wish you had 1-touch room-to-room DSS buttons without having to first press intercom or also did not have to press an auto-ans key. I do wish they had digital phones instead of analog for better quality. However, I do like the build-in voice mail, caller ID to all lines, lighted display.

How many voicemail boxes can you have on the build-in voicemail system? Does it function like a regular voice mail system with auto-attendant? This is a great idea from Panasonic!

Thanks.

This thread has gone whacko. When I open it up it spreads across the screen and I can't see all of without scrolling. Strange.

you should give a legit panasonic dealer a
call have him do a demo for you with the tda 50
and the tva 50 you can have up to 24 direct station select/busy lamp field buttons and a 12 button add on moduleif thats not enough with out having to press the intercom button.a true voicemail/auto attendant system. much better loging of caller id . you are not going to like the 824 if you are looking for high end features
and abilities!!!!!

The BV is cheap basic Voice mail auto attend.
You wont be happy with it.

he will have a problem with any thing that is installed!

OP Offline
Originally posted by kxtda:
you should give a legit panasonic dealer a
call have him do a demo for you with the tda 50
and the tva 50 you can have up to 24 direct station select/busy lamp field buttons and a 12 button add on moduleif thats not enough with out having to press the intercom button.a true voicemail/auto attendant system. much better loging of caller id . you are not going to like the 824 if you are looking for high end features
and abilities!!!!!
Do you mind if I ask you what I'm not going to like about the 824?

Why can't they make the 824 able to call a room directly by pressing the DSS button? Why do you need to press intercom first? Is it because its an analog phone or is it because of poor design?

What type of problems am I going to run into by having an analog phone instead of a digital phone?

Why do you think the Built-in voicemail is not very good? What type of limitations or faults is it going to have?

Thanks.

you are asking me why you have to push intercom first you may consider calling the engineers
that developed the analog system good luck
personally hitting intercom plus a dss button
is not a problem for me I have this system in my
house and I am a digtal dealer

if you can live with a basic auto attendant
and an hour total of messaging(including the
outgoing messages and auto attendant recordings) and no barge in capability than you'll be ok

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Carl Navarro, OBT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,113 Shoretel
187,718 CTX100 install
186,811 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 7
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
3 members (Professor Shadow, ronaldjamesh, justbill), 67 guests, and 435 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024