no you are right riv the dbs installers always
cut down both pairs that way if you needed to swap
an analog ext to a dig there was not a big woop
at the wall plate

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

If I go in on a new job the first jack in a quad
plate is a rj 14 then I do 2 singles on the gr
and br pair the bottom right is a 568b
that is providing of course there is only 2 drops

Sorry, but I stay far away from Churches and Non Profits. They have been wired and rewired by Bozo's doing "volunteer work". Just forced to do a church, they were running Nortel and had remote buildings.
They were given a TD1232 and TVS200 voice mail, but only 7000 series phones.
Only 1st pair was wired on 60% of jacks, almost all jacks were behind huge book cases and piles of fire hazards. About a million unmarked and unknown to anyone IDF's. No on knew where anything was. Underground PIC cable run between buildings punched directly to 66 blocks with NO protection. Some of the IDF's were multiple 3 pair cables with no spare pairs. Now we gave them a good price to tone cables and install sets and train them, any additional work to be hourly.
There were lots of hours repairing jacks with 1 pair, others miss wired 2nd pair, running cables to IDF. This lunacy was hatched in the brain of their volunteer CG. Any for profit interconnect could have sold them a new DSX or similar system
for less than this miss mash of donated stuff cost. (which was offered) Not to mention the safety related items noted previously.

No disrespect to original poster or volunteers (most have good intentions), just venting.

OBT Offline
Admin
Admin
Peter, All dbs systems use centre pair on modular socket if it is a digital or slt port
the dbs never supported analouge key sets and I have many times twisted the pairs on the phone cable to get the kxtd or kxtda systems to work. I would say you were lucky that the cabling was done on 2 pair config. I still to this day wire the systems with 2 pair to each outlet.

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
OBT,
Exactly.

maybe it ireland then
the only company allowed to fit DBS was cable and wireless these always done the job right you must have a load of plonkers over there.

peter

I love the term "A load of plonkers"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :db: :db: :db:

Admin
Admin
Wow, this thread started out bad and went downhill fast.

Peter, perhaps your approach should be to do research on what you have and what you want to do. Start with your budget. You don't get many bells and whistles with a DBS, but when you keep the phones, you're not tossing $200+ sets in the dumpster.

A new voice mail system could integrate into a DBS cabinet, probably not the tightest of integrations, and you could get unified messaging and web based programming.

If you decide to scrap what you have and buy new, keep in mind that as has been pointed out, the DBS uses the center pins on a 6 pin jack for voice. The Nortel does also. The KXT uses pins 2&5 for digital phones, so it's possible that you will have to rewire every jack. You don't touch the house cable, you don't put modular plugs on cables or any of that stuff. You build a distribution frame. That frame could be via patch panel, 110 block, 66 block, BIX block for our Northern neighbors, or probably some other scheme.

To use your car example, you might change the oil, but it's unlikely that you'd take delivery of the parts and build it yourself. I don't know that you can compare a phone system to a car, because the car needs consumables. Most phone system installations are pretty static and yours is probably no exception, unless you have a high turnover. We got a new priest in the Catholic church and they got a new Rabbi in the Temple, but that's one service call each in two years.

Carl

OBT Offline
Admin
Admin
Peter Doyle, I am from Ireland!!!!

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
Admin
Admin
From my Ireland lookup geography lesson, it looks like about a 2 hour drive between you.
Is there a place in between?

Carl

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Carl Navarro, OBT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,772
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,459 Shoretel
188,321 CTX100 install
187,092 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 125 guests, and 355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024