web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#159988 09/22/07 01:52 AM
Zeus Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi

Set up my new phone system no problems along with a 2 Channel Voice Message Card.

But when it comes to connecting an external audio source, I am having no joy.

the manual states I need a 'EIAJ RC-6701 A plug (2-conductor, 3.5 mm in diameter).'

so that read to me as a normal 3.5mm mono input (hard to find but I got one) Problem is no BGM once it is inserted (yes I have used the maintenance console and set it to external - tried all three settings). So phoned Panisonic -via contacting my suppler. and was informed it must be faulty.

Got new one today and its the same. But I haven't even turned it on. I tested the input lead with a multimeter with the connections to the PCB for continuity and found it was the same as the one I sent back. I can get continuity but only when the input plug is slowly pushed in and its a hit and miss affair push it in too much and no contact.

I've done a websearch for a EIAJ RC-6701 A plug but got now where.

so :bang: time for the stupid question-

Which audio socket should I be using? a link would be great

TIA Zeus

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Admin
Admin
If your TEA is like our TA-824 you have to enable it per station in software :-)

In ours, it's 2.1 page 3 last ticks on the right.

Carl

RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
This is going to sound stupid but, have you tried a 3 conductor plug, using ring and sleeve? I know, I know, 'the book says....'. Sometimes the book is, how shall I say it, 'in error'. John C. (Not Garand)

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Before you start suspecting the system I would make certain you have audio at the plug.
Simply clip your butt set on the tip and the sleeve and see if you can hear your sorce.
Once we know we have audio going into the system then we'll take a look at it.
MrG

Zeus Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the feedback

Carl - no there is no continuity so how can it work

Lightninghorse - yes tied a stero 3.5mm plug first on the first system - infact when I spoke to the Panasonic tech guy he said that the stero plug normally does work on most systems.

MrGemini
Yes tried it with an MP3 player and audio out of the PC via media player and used a headset to check the source too.also check the various cables I have with a multimeter for continuity and they are fine
Went out this afternoon and purchased a stereo to mono 3.5mm convector and it didn't work when I checked it for continuity with the multimeter.
Had the same issue could get continuity if I pushed it in slowly but it was hit and miss, when the plug was about 5mm from fitting flush with the socket. When it was fully seated and the socket was viewed from inside I could see where the socket was suppose to make contact but it was wide open. I could get it to make contact by slowly withdrawing the plug and at about 5mm I could get continuity but the slightest touch and it was gone. Got no sound from the phone by pressing '1'.
Unfortunately I have misplaced the CD with the kxtea308 maintenance console on it so was unable to check the software. Unable to find a download for the console but have E-mailed Panasonic for a link/download.
To me it looks like the socket on the PCB is the wrong one.
Have tried it in the paging socket too and the same happens when checking for continuity

Admin
Admin
Just for fun, go into programming and dial 626

It's the PT programming command for BGM and you dial the jack number and enable/disable.

It just might work.

Of cours, taking this one more step, go into 111 turn on the MOH and see if that works.

Carl

don't they put the plugs in the box???

Zeus Offline OP
OP Offline
Carl - its back in the box - so getting it out for fun -not ATM

brokeda - No, that would of been handy - but why didn't it work with a standard 3.5mm mono socket!

Admin
Admin
Originally posted by Zeus:
Carl - its back in the box - so getting it out for fun -not ATM

I don't understand what you mean. All of our MOH systems come with 1/8" to RCA Phono cables or adapters. I have NEVER used the Panasonic plugs that come in the box. Even worst case, I just slip into Radio Shack and buy the cable for about $3. In an 824 the jacks are side by side and our 1/8" plug fits properly in both.

Carl

Zeus Offline OP
OP Offline
Carl - mine came with all the cables except the ones for the BGM and Page sockets. But why does not a standard 3.5mm mono plug not work. I have no need to turn the system on, when I can open the phone system lid and try the connection with a multimeter. Its so easy two black sockets are mounted on the PCB where the plugs go in . On the black sockets are two steel shiney metal bits which I use to test with the mulitmeter to check continuity with the audio cable plug. one tests fine on each black socket, the other one is like I explained

if I pushed it in slowly but it was hit and miss, when the plug was about 5mm from fitting flush with the socket. When it was fully seated and the socket was viewed from inside I could see where the socket was suppose to make contact but it was wide open. I could get it to make contact by slowly withdrawing the plug and at about 5mm I could get continuity but the slightest touch and it was gone
Unquote

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Carl Navarro, OBT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,097 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,792 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 86 guests, and 248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024