Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#160647 11/30/07 11:05 AM
jjimm Offline OP
OP Offline
System is Panasonic KX-T30310 with Bogen PA. When paging from a telephone, at times the paging sound is distorted and hard to understand. This is an intermittent problem, usually occurring in the afternoon and evening, but seems ok mornings. I checked wiring and speakers which are ok. PA settings are equal and sounded fine when testing- music volume, mic volume, tel volume, and muting are all set to 1.

Does anyone know what might be causing this intermittent problem?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

jjimm Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, the situation has been updated. According to customer, not only does the paging sound muffled at times, sometimes it is way too loud.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Since you mention that it appears to be time-of-day specific, you may have a simple temperature issue that could be affecting corrosion. You may want to just take the cord loose that connects between the system and the amplifier and clean it with a Scotch-Brite pad on both ends. If that doesn't help, head out to Radio shack and buy another cable.

There's no programming that can affect this, so if this easy fix doesn't work, you are probably looking at having to replace the KX-T30810 or at a minimum, send it out for repair. I am sure that repair won't be an option since you will be completely down for several weeks while it is sent out.

Sometimes, the most basic things like handset cords or handsets can be the culprit. These failures are much more pronounced on a paging call than on a regular phone call. Those might also be worth checking/replacing.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
jjimm Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm not sure if the problem is the Bogen TPU-100B paging unit or the key system, or the unshielded 30 feet of wire between them. If it was the wire, I would think it would be constant. Sounds like a chip problem, but I'm not sure how to isolate it. I'm sure they only want to replace what's necessary.

jjimm Offline OP
OP Offline
Temperature was the first thing I looked for because these Bogen units are known for that. It wasn't a temperature issue this time.

I'd still check the wiring between them. Those Panasonics are fairly stable, as are the Bogen units. Temperature can definitely affect a failing copper connection for sure and it can be intermittent. Ask me about my cable TV service...

I'd tend to think that if you had a hardware problem, it would be all or nothing. The only connection between the system and it's paging output jack is a 1:1 transformer, and if it was bad, you'd have nothing at all.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
It also sounds as though a speaker wire may be getting pinched from expansion of a wall or something that is getting warm and then cooling off.
MrG

jjimm Offline OP
OP Offline
I'll try replacing the wire tomorrow. I'm going to the site in the afternoon to try to catch this while it's happening. Thanks, MrG.

jjimm Offline OP
OP Offline
Both you guys are saying the same thing, so I will definitely check the wiring again and replace it.

Out here in sunny California I have moved 3 Bogens away from directly under the key system because of heat. The music would cut off intermittently when heating up.
I'm talking 1 inch or less between the PA and the key system. Because of the unit's proximity the Bogen would block the air venting and it would heat up during the evenings after being powered up all day. Moving the Bogen so it could ventilate properly and powering it off at night solved these problems.

But, you're right Ed. The Bogen was stable. It was the installation that was off. I was wondering about Panasonic transformers, though. 1:1 isn't a step-up or a step-down. So it's a step-aside? Oh man, that's bad.

RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Yes, that was bad! Give me your address and I'll loan you my Kimber 1911, so you can put yourself out of misery! smile John C. (Not Garand)

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Carl Navarro, OBT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,287
Posts638,784
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,813 Shoretel
188,972 CTX100 install
187,205 1a2 system
Newest Members
A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww, gohunt
49,766 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 5
dexman 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
3 members (pvj, dexman, justbill), 143 guests, and 177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024