Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#181610 08/30/05 10:13 AM
Zach Offline OP
OP Offline
Well I have one of those most embarrassing moments. I have installed Strata CTX WinAdmin on my desktop to administrate my phone systems here at the office. I on a daily basis help users in my network when they have lost their password always saying something like how can you forget a password and what not. Well a little humility has come my way as I have not used the strata WinAdmin software in about six months and no longer remember my password. The password in question is the one that is stored locally on the system as part of the IIS instance that is used to administrate the system. I can of course just install this software on another system and make the changes I need to make but I am determined to get my tools on my desktop working again. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software to see if I could use the company defaults and this failed. The old passwords remain active after a reinstall. I have dug around in the registry and found little. I have uninstalled and cleared out any files left behind by the software.

Does anyone know where this software keeps its account information so that it can be cleaned for a fresh install?

Thanks for the help in advance
Z

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#181611 08/30/05 10:27 AM
Zach Offline OP
OP Offline
Reading many of the other posts I see that questions involving passwords is handled very well. I am glad to see security on this kind of product taken serious. The details that I am looking for are not passwords but rather the details of removing the locally stored password values from PC so that the software may be reinstalled. This information could be considered as volatile as passwords them selves as knowing how to remove the file is the same as having the file to attempt to crack. Please do not post this information but rather email me if you have any clue on proceeding. I noticed details of who you are talking to is important when making a decision to respond with this sort of information is important. My name is Zach and I work in the IT industry. I have been working IT security for a few years now, but do to some shortage of employees at my current company I have been given… well just about everything including administration of our phone system. Oh joy. I have already installed the software on a second pc and logged into the phone system to make the needed change for the employee, but I would really like to get the software working on my system again.

Thanks again
Z.

#181612 09/05/05 08:08 AM
If I were to try, I would use a few free utillities from sysinternals.com, filmon and regmon, install and run Winadmin on another machine with these 2 programs running. They may give you a place to start looking. I wouldn't consider this cracking the software, but just a complete uninstall.

Other thing you could do is get Emanager. It is downloaded from Toshiba only by a Toshiba tech. It replaces CTX Winadmin. It is backwords compatible, and required if you upgrade the software to ver. 3.X.

[This message has been edited by newtecky (edited September 05, 2005).]

#181613 09/06/05 03:39 AM
Zach Offline OP
OP Offline
Emanager is pretty cool! I installed it after figuring out just what a pain it was going to be to track down where the user information was being kept. I agree with you that it was not cracking, but people see things differently then I do from time to time. I personally feel it was just an attempt to clean up a dirty uninstall, in which it is leaving credential information in the registry. You know it just seams that if you are going to include an uninstall executable, it might actually correctly uninstall the software. Mind you this gripe can be made of most software out there.
Thanks again
Zach

#181614 09/07/05 10:47 AM
So...I am not a toshiba tech (but I know what Im doing as I have been working with a Strata CTX 670 for about three years now) and therefore cant download Emanager from toshiba. Is there a place where I can download this from? I am just curious as to what alternatives there are for the WinAdmin software. Thanks!

Moderated by  Carlos#1, phonemeister 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,282
Posts638,763
Members49,764
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,443 Shoretel
188,296 CTX100 install
187,080 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 7
dexman 4
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (Carl Navarro, Toner), 128 guests, and 223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024