Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
smags Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks guys, I may "get one of them to wire the job for me", but one guy's opinion on how to do it is still just one guy's opinion. Just getting a professional to do everything is not really my style. I like wiring and I want to learn - that's why I'm here. I'm not selling my services or installing phone system, I'm just trying to put a good wire infrastructure into my own building. I find the more you know the better off you are. You all know that there are horrible "professionals" and wiring guys out there - that is why I am here asking quesitons on a great forum like this. Thank you very much to all of you who actaully tried to answer my questions. Seems like 66 blocks and jumpers is the way to go for terminating the phone cables so that is what I will do. Interesting reading on this forum!
smags

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I agree, 66 blocks and mushrooms will make you look like a pro and the "installer" wont be cursing you.

Take a look in the Cabling thread and welcome to the forum.

Oh I forgot to mention, when typing things like "rj45 mod plug" and the like. Feel free to leave a roll of duct tape at the counter for us. It will help when our heads start to swell and eyes start to pop out from the high pressure. :dance: :thumb:

As to your thoughts, quite simply it's just not done that way. Each tenant needs to have their own phone system as well as their own data network WITHIN THEIR OWN SPACE. What will be required in the building is "house wiring" that will distribute the telco lines from the terminal that they will provide (in a room that you will provide for them) to each tenant space. Depending on the building layout, intermediate telephone closets may be required. Wiring between the telco terminal and the intermediate closets is by multi-pair cables that will provide redundant capacity. Usually each tenant gets a 25 pair to a RJ-21x in their space.

but one guy's opinion on how to do it is still just one guy's opinion. Just getting a professional to do everything is not really my style.

No, the buck stops here. You asked, this is how it's done, no opinions about it. If your style is to be bull headed, well, that's your problem I guess.

Have a nice day.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
smags Offline OP
OP Offline
what WRichey, forgive me, I don't get it? You do or don't like them??? (At this point everyone already knows how green I am but hey my mom always told me the dumbest question of all is the one you didn't ask!)
Smasgs

smags Offline OP
OP Offline
Hbiss, it's an existing building, I already have a dmark telephone closet which distributes the lines to all the units. I know all of that. Every unit is independent from the other units, every unit has it's own telco/data hub. I'm rewiring the internal units becuase it is all old quad type telephone cord (some Cat3). As far as it being something I am not going to do, I have already done it. I've rewired 3 units (with the help of an electrician friend) I was simply asking a question as it relates to terminating the cat5 cables that are dedicated to pots lines in the phone closet. sheeez.

(some Cat3

Ok, what's wrong with CAT3??

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
This probably should have been in cabling, but since we've had so many post may as well leave it here.

Use the correct cable for your needs, CAT3 for voice CAT5 for network.

Use the correct jack for your needs, 4 or 6 pin for voice 8 pin for network.

Use the correct termination for your needs, 66 blocks for voice, patch panels for network.

Use the correct attachments for all your cabling.

Looks at some of the examples in cabling on the board, you'll get the idea.

Last but not least, when learning how to do something you learn a lot more when your lips aren't moving. laugh welcome

Retired phone dude
Smags:

I was being funny (head exploding joke), RJ = Registered Jack and should only apply to specificly wired jacks. That is why I suggested reading the cabling forum. Modular Plugs are designated by Pin number and position ie: 8p8c is what you are calling an rj45 mod plug.

As for the wiring. The small 12 port patch panels are fine for data. You will note that they are about the same size as a 66 block and bracket. As a matter of fact the PP's use the 66 bracket as the mount. So the job will still look uniform and you will look good afterward.

Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Originally posted by smags:
...I have already done it. I've rewired 3 units (with the help of an electrician friend)...
Boy, you just asked the wrong guy there for help...like asking a seamstress to help change my electrical entrance.

What Hal was referring to before was to have a phone closet on each floor, if not in each tenant's locale. Nothing more frustrating than having to go to the basement from the 12th floor for a simple X-Connect for the system.

Especially for the Data runs! Think security, and both apply!

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
Yeah, I was going to comment on the sparkie aspect but I figured all in due time.

My advice is to forget anything a sparkie tells you on the subject of telecom and data and most everything else low voltage. If you were paying attention to what we told you above, you already know more than most of them do.

-Hal

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,289
Posts638,795
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,352 Shoretel
189,012 CTX100 install
187,392 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 21
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 3
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 170 guests, and 413 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024