web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Hal has obviously been listening in on some of my conversations. His initial post is almost a verbatim rant that I was shouting a few months ago.

Customer, in a restaurant, gets the sales pitch to save money. I get called while the cable 'tard is there. I respond immediately, and find my extremely neat, albeit extremely tiny, wire room has been destroyed. My 2 incoming 6 pairs, multipled on two 66 blocks, with bridging clips and cross-connections, have been ripped out, and half-modular cords have been Scotchloked to the back wiring.

They are back-feeding telco, and are getting no dial tone to the KSU.

The 'tard has no clue what he's doing. When I start in on him, he gets angry (no wonder) and appeals to the restaurant owner, who picks up a mop handle, and chases the guy right into the street, telling him that he ever comes back, he'll kill him.

They used four, two-line modems, to derive eight lines, with an assortment of splitters and jumper cables that would make your eyes hurt. They hung them from my 66 blocks with wire ties.

When I called their head office to ask them if they had a larger multi-line unit, their answer was, basically, they never heard of such a thing.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Mus be sumpin rong in yo PBX.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
You should have taken a picture of the mess and sent it in to them...oh wait, that sounds like one of their good installs!
Here's a picture from one of the cable TV forums...
[Linked Image from i35.photobucket.com]

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Not all cable companies are like that. How do you think I ended up working for a cable company? I do all of the commercial installs. Part of the deal with me working for them is I was the person who got to write the specs for all commercial phone installs. I don't care if its 20 lines or 2 lines. We actually use Arris modems like the ones Jeff has pictured. While that install is less than appealing the parts are the same. it can easily be cleaned up by someone who really wanted to make it look good. Cable companies are no different than phone people really, their are some good and some bad. Just remember not to lump us all together.

hbiss Offline OP
OP Offline
Glacier, I think you are speaking for yourself and your location. My experience here is that no cable company is capable of providing service to businesses, at least those needing more than a few lines. Even with residential they do a horrible job.

You may be basing your opinion on equipment from Arris and others who have some decent products for providing voice service. Matter of fact the TM-512 EMTA which is what's in that picture is what Cablevision should be using. 12 lines on a RJ-21.

Do you guys throw a Motorola Surfboard modem on the floor behind somebodies computer, plug it into the phone with a bridging adapter, go outside and cut the wiring off the telco NID and walk away?

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Well,

It appears the model number i was going to post has already landed. And yes this is what we get with cox in the sw areas; Arrisi modems.

My biggest complaint as jeff picture points out; is the bundling of the extra amphenol. Rather than cutting it down taking away the slack, they just roll it up in big glob.

They roll up the slack cable because its pre-made and they don't know what to do with it. And Hal, I am just saying that not all cable companies are like that. The last paragraph in your original post kind of lumps together cable company telephone as a whole. This is a widely used forum and you seem to be badmouthing cable companies in general, rather than just the ones you are familiar with. And by the way, we have had installers throw the modem on the floor like you said and they are fired within a couple of days.

hbiss Offline OP
OP Offline
Arris does provide an installation kit that includes the cable and a 66 block and apparently that's what is in that picture. It can't be a full 25 pair or they wouldn't be able to crumple it up like that. (But I'm sure they would do something else that looks just as bad.)

Yeah, I saw that picture over at Cable Techs.org but I never noticed the Amphenol. I know Arris makes a bunch of "surfboard" type EMTAs and after Glacier identified the one in the picture as from Arris, well sure enough there it was. So now I can "gently point them in the right direction" next time I'm involved with this big of a job. Here it is, call me when you have them and I'll advise my customer.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
I always find it humorous how any CLEC seems to think that just plugging a pre-connectorized 25 pair cable into the OUTPUT side of an "RJ21X" (700A block) is appropriate. The cover even clearly states that it is supposed to be opened only by telephone company personnel. How is the customer supposed to make their connections on the INPUT side of the block when it is forbidden for them to open the cover?

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
hbiss Offline OP
OP Offline
And Hal, I am just saying that not all cable companies are like that.

Fine, I'll take your word for it but because one is doing something right someplace doesn't help the majority. Cablevision is one of the largest (if not THE largest) MSO and if they can't get their you know what together it follows that this is pretty much the norm for the industry.

I have nothing against any cable company, matter of fact I worked for and built this very system that was ultimately bought up by Cablevision many years later. That was way back in the analog days (and there is nothing left of my work) but my focus was still always on making sure the job was done right by anybody working under me.

Maybe your company management has people like me, but I can tell you that it's not what I'm seeing here. They figure subscribers will buy their service for $29.95/mo and nobody will give a damn about anything else.

-Hal

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,111 Shoretel
187,716 CTX100 install
186,809 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 7
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (Curlycord, OBT), 57 guests, and 409 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024