web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
hbiss Offline OP
OP Offline
An update on this. The "project" has been progressing due entirely to my efforts. We have a "wall of modems" that is literally a 36 inch wide backboard floor to ceiling! We are waiting for Cablevision to provide the last four lines that, for some reason they are dragging their butts on.

Just to show how Cablevision is not capable of providing business class voice service- it's not unusual for one company to divide their lines up into groups and be billed separately for each for accounting purposes. Since Cablevision is stuck in the cable TV days they provided six separate accounts, six drops to the premises and six separate groups of EMTAs which means that there are unused ports on many. There are eight four line EMTAs for only twenty lines. THAT'S why we have the wall of modems, a monument to stupidity.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Hal,
Are these lines ported from a local CO? If so their is a good chance the business will not be able to port them back. Not sure
the reason but that is what happens here.

This install guideline is pathetic! Six drops? How do they manage attenuation? These eMTA's without some sort of balancing
can't possibly meet manufactures signal/noise standards. Arris for example is very picky, they generally range to a specific
set of frequencys trying to connect to the server. If the signal is too high it will stand to reason that also true the snr
will be near the noise floor. If this is the case the eMTA will range constantly resulting in dropped calls, and dropping
connectivity.

Can you post pictures of this install? What are they doing for cross connects? Thats got to look real funny! It goes to show
that the cable operators really need to be regulated much more!

You asked in your first post about amphenol and so on. Yes they can do something along those lines. To my knowledge at least
10 diffrent MTA's provide an amphenol connection with 25 pairs to the 66. Commercial and MDU services do have a new rollout
planned, thus one piece of equipment will serve multiple lines.

Here are some links;
https://www.arrisi.com/product_catalog/listers/index.asp?id=393 <-- Can support 12 lines
https://www.arrisi.com/product_catalog/listers/index.asp?id=409 <-- T1 like

It is my oppinion that a majority of the MSO's launched services to build a base, yet had no idea what to do when they got that
base. Headends and Systems got neglected, as a result customers paid the price. Its sad, but true.

hbiss Offline OP
OP Offline
Are these lines ported from a local CO? If so their is a good chance the business will not be able to port them back.

You and I are aware of that, now it's time to make the customer aware of that.

This install guideline is pathetic! Six drops? How do they manage attenuation?

8 port tap off the feeder out in the telecom closet.

What are they doing for cross connects?

They are doing nothing. I wouldn't let them touch it! I installed the backboard, laid it out and hung the modems and backups on it. Made them stand there and learn something. I provided a 6 foot outlet strip and routed the RG-6 down one side. All I would let them do is provision them. We have 4 pair breakout cables that we normally use for the CO lines on our KSU installations that use RJ-11s. Perfect for this also. One from each modem to a split 66 block, 50 pair cable over to where the system cross connect is, then another split 66 block next to the Verizon demarc. At that point everything is cross connect wire so everything comes off the Verizon block and gets put on the Cablevision block. Not something that they would know how to do in their wildest dreams.

I'll try and get some pictures when it's finished.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Intresting stuff. Your cleanup/install works well. Though I must point out a semi funny fact. How much did this "savings switch" actually save them with all the time you have on site and the chaos they have been subjected to?

Oh well, Its a shame people dont google Comcast, Cablevision, Charter or Time Warner phone before they order. run any of those and all you find is horror stories.

hbiss Offline OP
OP Offline
How much did this "savings switch" actually save them with all the time you have on site...

Well, I'll put it this way- that monthly savings isn't going to kick in for at least 6 months.

-Hal

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024