web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#1948 01/12/04 06:39 AM
OP Offline
Does anyone know anything about Rolm and Talk Switch systems? I believe Rolm is a model of Siemens, but I've never heard of Talk Switch. I'm trying to find out if either of these systems is on-hold capable. Thanks!

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

what do u mean by on-hold capable.....

If u mean can you hook up a on-hold message player...any phone system with music on hold can use these gizmos.....

ROLM is PABX product name for SEIMENS. An excellent resource for users on how to use the systems various features and functions can be found at https://www.9751.com

try 1-800-926-5465 link processor
they have been around when rolm was a hot product .get the model # of the switch
i think in those days it went through a station or option card

Rolm was an IBM system that sold to Seimens. Remember the Redwood? If you got one now, I invite you to join the rest of us in the 21st Century.

Indeed Redwoods are not even Y2K compliant. We don't support those anymore. The 9751, however, is one of the most robust systems ever made. Especially the Mod 50/70 with CPU and TDM redundancy. Power redundancy is also available on the Mod 40, 50, and 70.

Rolm is the original name of a company bought out by IBM in the 80's. IBM sold the Rolm name and rights to Siemens, who has all but burried the Rolm name now. The stuff Siemens offers now in no way resembles the good old user and tech friendly Rolm CBX's. Now it is all overengineered german crap.

I don't know anything about Talk brand systems.

------------------
| CMS Communications, Inc.

I disagree. I say Rolm killed the awesome Siemens switches with their ideas on switches. The Saturn line of PBX's were WAY ahead of their time. CBX?..bahhh gime a Saturn IIe any day over that.

We had a Saturn in the lab once upon a time. It was trashed about seven years ago. I never got to play with it myself, so I can't really comment on it. Honestly, until your post I had forgotton all about it, I have never had an inquiry here for service or repair of that switch or any of its components. I do have a 9200 here to play with, as well as a 30EX 9006.4. Compared to my 9751's they are not very tech friendly. I prefer the verb noun syntax of the Rolm CLI for admin and maint.
Maybe calling it german crap sounds harsh but I have to learn these systems after having worked on 9K's and 9751's for nine years. And don't even get me started on the Optisets.... the circuit boards corrode like crazy if anything is spilled in one. Pads lift from the circuit boards...I have one right here that has the handset jack completely seperated form the circuit board pads and all. I have to glue the damed thing down and solder jumper wires.

------------------
| CMS Communications, Inc.

The Saturn was noun and verb based. In fact it's the only way to program it.

Funny thing, in Siemens 3000 training they point out that if Siemens didn't make the tech parts cumbersome then we would be out of a job! I thought that was funny.
Siemens has actually developed into a very good product after buying out IBM-Rolm. Thank God the 9200's are disappearing, those things would drop cards if you sneezed in the building! My father worked for Rolm, was a great company. The biggest issue (not problem) is Siemens is German engineered and some things that are important in telephony in USA are worthless features in Europe so the design was hard to get customers to like, it was different than what they were used to.
If you have any further Rolm questions I would be happy to help however I can if u ever need me too.

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,695
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,707 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
3 members (dans, Toner, Curlycord), 106 guests, and 250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024