web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
I can't view either image... and the second one gives me an "access denied" error. Maybe try hosting it at imageshack or similar.

:shrug:

- Tony
Ohio Data LLC
Phone systems, data networks, firewalls and servers in Central Ohio.
Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

[Linked Image from i3.photobucket.com]
that should work. Sorry apparently twitpic won't cut it, the images were there when I posted them however.

PS: Are you Seth Rogans twin?

Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
I have never seen that error, ever. I will check around and get back about it... and no, I'm not. Guess I need to update that ol pic smile That was from the 2006 OSU/M*ch*g*n game, during Heiney Gate.

- Tony
Ohio Data LLC
I can't wait for Toshiba to come to their senses and embed the stinkin web browser into the hardware. If a $29 Linksys router can do it, why are we forced to waste so much time installing emanager?

Dwight Jones
www.exordium.net

Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
Dwight,

I agree that is is limited in its design, especially since it will only run on a handful of Microsoft OS's (XP Pro or Vista Super Duper Number One Best Ever Gold Member Level). The simple fact that it won't load on 7 is odd, since 7 is designed with the exact same file structure as Vista.

Now I know we're taking this topic down a side road now, but...

I would like to see it designed to operate on any common OS. Maybe design it around Adobe AIR ~ that way Mac, Linux, Windows, etc. could use it despite their OS.

OR

Embed it in the hardware, as you said Dwight. They could have it run on a Linux platform. A subassembly card of some sort, which draws power from the phone system and runs an embedded version of Linux or XP Embedded (if it must). Heck all you would need is a .5V USB connector and a flash drive with DSLinux on it... or even design a custom Linux distro! The easiest part about that is... you would just have to VPN into it and work away, no matter what system you are running locally - since every OS that is in public use today has a VPN package for it. Not to mention the advantages (direct $ cost savings!) of GPL vs M$L.

AND furthermore...

Yes, again Dwight is correct about SO MUCH time installing eManager. Little tweaks in the previous releases, were a HUGE waste of time. I admit the current V5.20B05 is very stable, but initially between WinAdmin and the first 5-ish versions of eManager/Network eManager... I wasted no less than 5 full business days (yes 40 man hours) installing, troubleshooting and tweaking, just to have an update fix the problems a month after I was done with forensic analysis. Keep in mind, this is in an office with 3 total laptops and 1 desktop computer.

----

sorry for the long post wink
/soapbpx

- Tony
Ohio Data LLC
Without mention was the need to uninstall a previous version and then reboot prior to installing the latest version of these programs. When it should have been as simple as running a update/upgrade to go to the latest which may not take the first time attempted.
...seems like a scripted program to actually do this would have been in order, one that when ran would uninstall the previous version and then reboot to install a newer version....you know like just about all other software on the market these days.

Been there, done that!

sph Offline
I don't think the problem with porting eManager to other systems lies with the browser or the OS.
The browser is just a front-end to an SQL database.
The OS is just the host of the same SQL database.

The database system is Microsoft's SQL Server and it is one of their crown jewels. There is NO WAY (imo) that Microsoft will EVER port their SQL structures to any other host OS. They provide connectivity to SQL Server from/to other systems, yes. But that's how far it's gonna go.

You can question their decision to go with SQL Server, but I don't think there is anything to be gained by that. They know that business case better than any of us.

sph Offline
Originally posted by Canuckvoip:
Hmmm... On the other hand, I have read that Win 7 will ship with a version of XP in order to provide legacy support!!!
Maybe that will be the saviour?

Dave
I think you're refering to this:

Windows XP Mode

This is a preloaded/preconfigured licence-free XP SP3 environment for Windows 7. The requirements:

1. Relatively recent processor
2. Windows Virtual PC installed (free from Microsoft)
3. About 20GB of free space total.

There is a similar software for Vista to run on Windows 7.

The logical thing to do is for Toshiba to port eManager to SQL Server 2008 which runs on Win 7. I assume this will happen.

Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
Downloading now to try it, thanks for the info!

- Tony
Ohio Data LLC
I got a little farther. I downloaded Win7 from Technet last week when it hit. This is the RTM version. As previous posters ran into it errors out right away with the non-supported OS. You can get around this with compatibility mode on the program (right click run as Vista SP1) Another hangup for me is I'm running 64-bit Enterprise so the SQL Express 2005 errors also. So what I did is got the correct installer, put it in the SQL Install folder and renamed the installer SQLExpr32 or whatever it is called by default. I got everything installed and am now to the point of where the login screen is not showing up with an asp error. I've been messing around with the IIS settings trying to get it to go. It seemed each step had it's own challenge and now it's so close!! I quit for today just because it was driving me insane. Basically if you don't trick the installer to have it do your SQL install, it won't load up the right db information for you and I'm still not positive that is where my issue is stemming from.

Toshiba CTX670 with ies32 8 port VM - retired
2 Cisco UC560's and 1 UC540 in a multi site config
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Carlos#1, phonemeister 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 81 guests, and 241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024