web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#19944 10/11/08 06:36 AM
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
My advice, get a pair of scissors. Sounds a little strange I know, but they have special "electricians" scissors you can get at any electrical supply house, or even in the LVW section of Home Depot.
we call them "snips"

real phone men wear them in a pouch everywhere , (never know when you might need them )

one thing to try on the buttset is to wiggle the cord at the clips and where it goes into the case to see if that effects the static

(I'm assuming you replaced the battery )

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#19945 10/11/08 08:36 AM
Real telephone splicers call them "shears."

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

#19946 10/11/08 08:47 AM
Splicers were never real telephone men. :rofl: Just Kidding. We were alaways giving the splicers crap. And yes I always called them "snips" but they go in the left back pocket. I have a pair in my back pocket almost always, better than a pocket knife. Wife gets pissed when a pair goes in the wash. I must have 15 pairs floating around.

Mike

#19947 10/11/08 09:39 AM
Online Content
Originally posted by Arthur P. Bloom:
Real telephone splicers call them "shears."
I was a splicer for my first 8 years with Bell and never heard them called anything but snips. We would even use our headsets one side to grd to see if a line was in use before cutting the pair. It was easier to go opps that way. laugh

Retired phone dude
#19948 10/11/08 10:05 AM
Admin
Admin
Shears? Must be a Northeaster thing. Always snips. You could find the rookies by who called them scissors.

[Linked Image]
#19949 10/11/08 10:47 AM
KLD Offline
"Scissors are for cutting out paper dollies"

Snips it is. Ordered as scissor, electrician, with stripping notch.

Shears? Cable sheath shears or "tabbing" shears were for hooking up grounds after splitting the sheath to allow the grounding sheath shoe to be inserted.

Hip pocket? Not a splicer sitting on a butt box. ISP guys, CO guys, they stuck it behind the belt at the first loop (right or left) while REAL telephone men carry them in a pouch that is made for the snips and cable knife. Now, as real telephone men get older, we carry a small maglite in it's pouch just behind the snip and knife pouch. That way we can see what we are cutting.

topic Butt sets were used even on open wire to test lines. The old KS brown box was the last thing you wanted to drag up a pole with you.
The only thing you couldn't test with the butt set was common sense....... laugh

Goat? Cause it could butt you?

My 2 cents.

Ken
---------
#19950 10/11/08 11:21 AM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
It must be a NorthEast or even just a Big Apple thing to call Electrician's Scissors "shears". Always called shears - and nothing but. Wiss was the favorite brand, followed by Clauss. Klein's shears were third rate in the beginning and then got better. Snips were Tinsnips.

Ken - a similar quote to yours:

As my late partner Moe Harris (who at one time had been the fastest splicer in the Bell System) used to say:

"Seamstresses use scissors. Splicers use shears"

Splicers (besides just putting two wires together) also handled all the carrier equipment. I can't speak for the whole country but in NYC they did and that was GTE policy also. I was surprised that when Verizon installed FIOS at my home it was handled by Installation (albeit a special group) rather then splicing.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
#19951 10/11/08 11:44 AM
Ken, you don't have to be old to carry a flashlight :p I do a lot of sound work and always carry a leatherman and mini maglite...never know when something is going to break!

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#19952 10/11/08 12:29 PM
KLD Offline
Sam....off topic....around here SWBT cable splicers did just that...nothing more. No Carriers, cable repair, nothing but splice cable.

United, later Sprint, now Embarq splicers were also cable repairmen.

With at&t Fiber construction is done by a division of the normal cable construction. Special Services do T-1s, carrier, concentrators, etc.,etc........

Embarq I&R in small exchanges do it all BUT construction and cable splicing/repair.

Yep, must be a NYC thing....I've worked from Maine to Florida, Washington to California, in between, worked for utilities, contractors, the Feds, and even the IBEW....snips is snips.....
Wiss :thumb: Claus :thumb: Klein splicer's knifes and snips are second rate but you don't have much of a choice most places.

BUT (still off topic) Dmarc some times, SNI always, and NID rarely....depending on who you talk to. It is still usually a Keptel unit on the outside of a building.

As they say, the difference between the English and the Americans is the language....same for telco terms.

Back on topic topic the Walker throw away butt set is one of the cheapest and easiest...plus has an RJ11 plug for testing modular....Harris next....then Premier (I wish North Supply was still open).

Ken
---------
#19953 10/11/08 12:51 PM
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
"I wish North Supply was still open" Amen to that, brother. If they didn't have it, you could get along without it, in general installation and service tools and parts. Obviously, they didn't carry every brand of key system and pbx, but what they did carry was "Da' gud stuff!" John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,279
Posts638,739
Members49,764
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,291 Shoretel
188,177 CTX100 install
187,020 1a2 system
Newest Members
andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo, highlysecptial
49,763 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 15
dexman 4
teleco 4
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
3 members (Toner, teldata1, justbill), 83 guests, and 96 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024