web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Hello

for several weeks, we have noticed an auto dialer come on our main line, dial 2-3 times, then stop: it disrupts our phone conversations but does not disconnect us

happens at repeatable times around 4:30pm: phone company says it is not them

first suspect is a disconnected alarm system- but it has no power/no battery for several months: it is disconnected from phone line at the jack but may still have supervisory wiring connected

also have been moving several DSS boxes off this line

any ideas? would like to find source myself but it has me stumped

Thank you, Mark

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I think you're on the right track. When you said the alarm is not connected, did you mean Burg or Fire? I would tend to think it would be a fire panel if it is doing it on a daily basis, most fire panels are made to do a dialy test signal. Are you in a complex where the phone lines come into a common room where another companies alarm could be tied to your line? Most alarm guys are'nt real particular about whos' line they tie into. The only other things I would consider is a time clock sending in daily time reports to an offsite computer, or some elevator phones can send a daily test signal as well.

(added)

You also said that it tries 2-3 times, was it tone dial the first 2 times the switch to rotary? Might help determine the problem. Most alarms will try to use tone dial 1st for its' primary number, then tone dial to a secondary if that fails, it then switches to rotary and tries them both again.

[This message has been edited by JOHNYREB (edited January 23, 2004).]

OP Offline
it is my residence- new in 1999

Lucent Partner phone system with 3 lines

but several jacks are provided (ahead of the Partner system) for DSS stb's etc

I have an Apex Destiny 6100 burglar/fire system which is disconnected (unplugged phone jack/power/battery) for several months: but now that I look the supervisory loop is still connected: could it still be dialing without power?

Not if both the ac power transformer and internal backp battery are disconnected.

I'm not sure about the DSS sattelites and when they dial out, I've had one for several years and I have never heard mine dial out. They may have a sensing circuit that tell them not dial when someone is on the phone and with you having single line sets and the partner on the line, the current may be low enough that the DSS does'nt realize you are on the phone and tries to dial out over you. That's just a shot in the dark though.

This is where a dtmf digit grabber may come in handy. try to find out what digits are being dialed and go from there. good luck

Moderator-Comdial
Moderator-Comdial
Another source are your PC's. Do not overlook them!

OP Offline
I appreciate the ideas thus far

-when I hear it dial out, it is a quick sucession of tones as opposed to a computer modem

-I will try a tone grabber but I fear that will lead me to an 800 number I cannot trace- still I could compare this to other numbers being dialed out

Thanks again; appreciate all ideas

[This message has been edited by captain mark (edited January 24, 2004).]

Do you have VM in the partner? You may want to post this in the avaya section as well. I'm not that familiar with the Partners but It may be possible if you have a VM card in the partner that it it could be trying to outdial to notify of a message. I'm not sure if it would attempt this at the same time of day or not, or even if the parter will do external notification, but the fellas in that section will. Are you hearing the dial out while talking on the single line sets ahead of the system?

[This message has been edited by JOHNYREB (edited January 24, 2004).]

OP Offline
I hear the dialing when I am talking on the line on the Partner system: I am assuming something is connected ahead of the Partner system and trying to dial out; so No, it does not get a dial tone in this case

no VM card in the Partner (I don't think it is a Partner problem)

when I do hear the dialing, my conversation can continue, volume level is cut, so that is why I suspect something ahead of the Partner

originally every dial out modem was connected to this main line, which I realize was a mistake: I am locating every modem I can, and switching it to an alternate line- but have not found the offender yet!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,796 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (hitechcomm, nortelvoip), 164 guests, and 240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024