web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
adone36 Offline OP
OP Offline
We have 4 locations linked via T-1 with Toshiba CTX systems interconnected. Other locations w/o Toshiba phone systems connect to our main location via DSL and/or T1 internet VPN tunnels to our SonicWall Pro2040. We recently added a MIPU card at our main location to allow IP phones to connect. We have an outside address mapped to the MIPU which is on the local subnet (192.168.1.14).

The problem:

IP phones work from all subnets connected via T1, but will not work from outside or through subnets which connect via VPN tunnels to our SonicWall Pro2040. The phones read "tcp error on IPU". Our Toshiba tech can see the ip phones connect, register a mac address, extension, etc, but fail to connect. The SonicWall is preventing connection. Connecting from the web yield the same error message and our SW vendor says the outside address is mapped to pass all ports to the inside MIPU address.

Our phone vendor is unfamiliar with SW. Can anyone offer a solution?

Anthony W Donegan
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Former Moderator-Toshiba, Request an Installer
The MIPU has to have a Static Public IP address assigned, and be connected directly to the WAN. It will not work when placed behind a firewall. Your Toshiba vendor should know this.

We generally place a little 5 port switch where the service comes in and send one port to the MIPU and one port to the firewall.

Try that. I bet it starts working wink

Now available Voicemail Programmer Kit to program your Toshiba Voice Mail across your network.

Toshiba Technical Support at: One Ring Telecom
SW vendor says the outside address is mapped to pass all ports to the inside MIPU address.
That's called NAT translation... will not work. Have your IT guy set up a DMZ zone in the Sonic Wall, so that your MIPU can have a PUBLIC IP address... then everything will work.

Or, as Voyager said, you can pop a switch in between... it's a poor second-rate solution, since every switch or IP device adds latency to your connection, but it WILL work...

Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
Originally posted by Ben Holmes:
That's called NAT translation... will not work.
Isn't that redundant? smile

----

I agree with Voyager. A simple, hub or unmanaged switch will do the trick.

It is one hop, from the outside world, which is your slowest connection in the LAN/WAN anyways, so latency shouldn't be an issue. If you think it will be though, ping Google with the switch, then without it and compare.

- Tony
Ohio Data LLC
Phone systems, data networks, firewalls and servers in Central Ohio.
Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.
I realize that I am a year late to the party but it happens. I have a cix100 with an mipu, and I want remote phones to work with it. I have already tried the DMZ and that gave a pathway but no speach, so I messed with the NAT settings but nothing worked. Next I went with a switch in between the modem and router with one feed straight to the ip card. Now I am trying to think how to program the card since it isn't through the router, what is the subnet and router addresses?

Since you replied to a very old thread, I could assume you have tried searching. I think the moderators here prefer that you start a new tread rather then bumping an old one.

You are correct in installing a hub between the 2 devices, but you need a 2nd Public IP address. Your router either has a static (which means your Internet provider gave you information which was entered into the router) or dynamic (which the router automatically pulled an IP address and info from the provider).

You need 2 static IP addresses from your internet provider, one for the router, and the second for the MIPU card. The IP and gateway info would be provided by your provider.

Try using Wireshark you will need to lay your hands on a hub. Put the Ip handset onto the hub with a pc running Wireshark and monitor the traffic. If you are unfamiliar with Wireshark you should still be able to send the logs to your system maintainer who can give you advise as to where the issue lies.

The issue lies in the fact that he needs to get the static IP, SubNet and Gateway and put that baby outside the firewall.

Now available Voicemail Programmer Kit to program your Toshiba Voice Mail across your network.

Toshiba Technical Support at: One Ring Telecom

Moderated by  Carlos#1, phonemeister 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,772
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,461 Shoretel
188,327 CTX100 install
187,093 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 105 guests, and 288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024