web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
OP Offline
I have a job where the system keeps calling 911, and the cops are really getting upset.

It is a DK40 with Stratagy Flash. Here's what I have done: I disabled outdialing on the flash, and tested every analog port. No outside line is possible for the VM. You get a busy tone if you try. I actually restricted the phone system so even the handsets can't call 911.(temporary test) Cbeyond is the provider, and the lines are coming in on a T1 over a channel bank. They sent a report showing the calls are coming from no specific number, it's any of their lines that could be calling. That rules out a fax or other line specific gadget.

The customer said she called in to the VM and while in a mailbox, she dialed 911. She did this three times, and the 911 center said they got three 911 calls at that time.

So I built a 911 mailbox to intercept calls in case someone was dialing those digits. If they do, it goes to that box and hangs up.

After all this, I left yesterday, and they promptly had five more 911 calls. Can the Cbeyond router be causing this? It started the day they installed a replacement router, but of course they swear it can't be their equipment.

If no phone and no analog port can possibly dial 911, how can this still be happening? Can a system call 911 during an active call, if someone dials it? Or if a phone number happens to have 911 in the string, such as 591-1234, could that trigger it? I'm at a loss.

Venture Teleservices
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

This may not apply since you said you disabled access from the voicemail system, but if mailbox 991 was reset and had 991 in extension field and DND off, then the voicemail could be dialing 911 from the auto attendant, ( 1st 9 gets an outside line, then 91, then another 1 added by VM system).

OP Offline
Thanks for your reply. Box 991 has DND on, since it is a routing box. And I do have the analog ports blocked from dialing out. This is really a baffling issue.

Venture Teleservices
do they have a burg alarm

OP Offline
They do have an alarm, with a RJ31X tied to a specific line. That was my first thought alarm=911. But it's on one line only, and the calls are originating from any of their lines, in no particular pattern. And the alarm company said the dialer would call them, not 911. Good thought, but I don't think it's the alarm.

Venture Teleservices
I guess a way to test if it is the Cbeyond router is to disconnect the DK from the router. I assume that Cbeyond router is splitting off a couple of analog lines that are plugged in to the DK so it would be as easy as unplugging the lines. Im not very familiar with the DK products but the CTX/CIX has and emergency call destination that will ring a certain ext when 911 is called (x200 by default). Do the DK's have this same type of feature?

No Travis

OP Offline
Thanks for mulling it over. I guess I'm left with asking Cbeyond to swap out the router and see what happens. I can't think of any more programming tricks to block 911 calls.

Venture Teleservices
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
can you get the customer to shut the system down overnight or over a weekend to see if there are any calls with it shut down ?

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
Absolutely what Skip said. For the time being, connect them to some single line sets and see if it happens then. Take the phone system 100% out of the equation. Then add things one at a time and see what causes it. Sounds like VM is the culprit.

- Tony
Ohio Data LLC
Phone systems, data networks, firewalls and servers in Central Ohio.
Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Carlos#1, phonemeister 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,771
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,457 Shoretel
188,314 CTX100 install
187,087 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 136 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024