web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
junkbox Offline OP
OP Offline
After some unpleasent dealings with our service provider, the big boss would like to cut out third parties entirely in regards to Phone switch maintenance.
I have googled a bit but seem to come up short searching for online training/certs for NEC products. Is this something only NEC offers?
Also what are some pre-reqs to taking an NEC specific course.
I am a fluent network admin, and can muddle through the hardware aspects of telcom, but have no formal training except "oh-sh*t it's down, fix it" when it comes to phone/PBX programming.
What certifications, classes etc have any of you taken? Are they even worth it? should I just rtfm :read: ?

thanks

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Probably not a wise decsion on the big boss's part. I think he/she needs to see the BIG picture. What will you do when you need parts etc. My advise would be to look for another vendor that is willing to provide the type of service you are looking for. The time to look for support is before you really need it, and not when you are in a real bind.

Mike

RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
Mikes .giving you good advice :thumb:

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
I just took the IPK Advanced, IPKII basic and advanced, SV8100basic and SV8300 basic all online.

I think a classroom would make actually passing the exam easier, but it wasn't that bad. There is a IP prerequisite that needs to be passed in order to take the SV classes.

If you are an end user you can sign up for training at the NEC Unified website, but will not be able to call the tech support line unless you are a registered dealer.

Going on what the others have posted, I also would reccomend finding another dealer. These guys deal with this stuff everyday and you have to figure in what your time is worth.

look here: https://training.necunified.com/

Moderator-Telrad
Moderator-Telrad
Follow Mikes advice and I would like to add. Is your boss doubling your pay? Because you will be taking on double the work.
Try calling the manufacture of your phones system. They probably won't give Tech support but they usually can point you to a dependable vendor.

Fortunately this industry is not like the computer industry. Most manufacturers only will provide training and certification for their authorized dealers and techs working for them.

By the way, it always amazes me how bosses and bean counters always think IT people can handle telecom. Ask him if he would ask his dentist to fix his hemorrhoids.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
KLD Offline
Originally posted by junkbox:
I am a fluent network admin, and can muddle through the hardware aspects of telecom, but have no formal training except "oh-sh*t it's down, fix it" when it comes to phone/PBX programming.
An honest man....a CG that actually admits a telephone system requires a different skill set than a server or a switched hub or router. Most come here with the attitude "I can program a router, a phone system can't be as bad...see how smart I am?"

Now then, let me tell you as the other techs did....get another vendor....Contact NEC for a list of dealers in your area. After over four decades in this industry, there is no way you can be proficient with a system you work on rarely. Do you remember how to set your clock in the car without the owner's manual? Once every six months isn't much practice.

Hal, as always makes a good case....

I used to do Lancaster and Palmdale plus some Victorville. Hiway 138 ain't no fun!

So, junkbox, thanks for being honest, let me welcome you to the BB, and keep your sense of humor and smile laugh .

Ken
---------
junkbox Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for all of your input (and please continue)
I don't think the intention is to entirely (at least in my mind) cut out a third party but rather to have an internal "first line of defense".
As KLD stated it's a drive to get here for any third party which limits scheduling and response time. I understand this.
To that end, it doesn't make sense financially or otherwise to call a tech in to fix something that takes 20 minutes. Meanwhile he drives a total 4 hours to get here and back...it can't be good for the service provider either. And those are billable hours for us.
I currently handle the Voicemail and TBoxes as well as the Queues via NEC's software and cosessions (which is fun mainly because it's DOS like)
I wouldn't want to know everything about phone switching... my HD is almost full as is wink
Really I'd just like to know more about programming the switch from the admin console and what each of the programs are in console, also we have alot of CARs and I often have to switch those on the fly which is Ok but i'd like to know how to create a new one if/when needed. So really just the programming aspect.
Tony and hbiss bring up a good point about the authorized dealer angle (ala Cisco for network hardware)

So I think the consensus would be to become as knowledgable as I can, but have an authorized dealer/tech for major upgrades, major disasters and for use on non time-sensitive installs and issues.

doghart, as you mentioned, we are using an IPKII so I'll hit up that link :rofl:

to the contrary...I think most monkeys could at least put a network together, and employ a slightly more evolved monkey such as myself to route it and secure it. They've made networking too easy now couple of clicks in the web interface and everything's "good". Give me telnet and a 100 line cisco config any day.

A lot of bigger companies usually have a person on staff that is factory trained. My last two companies I worked for had me as their onsite tech. I am factory trained in a multiple of systems so I guess I was the go to guy. Smaller companies don't have this luxury I guess.

Well, there is an option I didn't consider. Hire a tech away from a dealer who is certified. Of course that still may not answer the manufacturer support and parts availability problem because they would no longer be working for a dealer.

If your company is sincere about the travel time/response issue that would be the thing to do but somehow I think they are just blowing smoke. It's all about money and cutting costs. They figure they have you on the payroll and their limited intellegence tells them that since you can handle 'puters you should be able to handle the phone system. So make him work harder for his money and save us some.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,710 CTX100 install
186,795 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Professor Shadow), 206 guests, and 236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024