web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#207442 05/21/03 07:53 AM
OP Offline
We have a used Vodavi Starplus 616 Flex phone system that included voicemail at its previous location. Is voicemail for the 616 FLEX a separate "box"; we have only the main unit with programming module 3.

Any suggestions on a voicemail system working with our 616 Flex would be greatly appreciated.

Jay Cordova
Springboard Creative/Atlanta

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

RIP Admin
RIP Admin
Are you saying that you didn't get the voice mail unit and need a suggestion on what works with the system or you have the unit and need to know which one you have, I'm a little unclear on your post.

If you got it, there would be a separate unit for the voice mail.

[This message has been edited by dtmf (edited May 21, 2003).]

Russ runs a local service and private tech center.

[Linked Image from sundance-communications.com][/url]
My one and only attempt at Voice mail on a Analog Vodavi was not a shining success. This particular system was a 1224 with a third party VM unit. It was a "rig" job at best and worked fine until they wanted to do Auto attendant as well. If you are going to have to purcahse a voice mail for the unit I would personally suggest maybe swapping to a Parnter or other small system with voice mail built in. Others may have had better luck than I, that's just been my experience. I just never could get the message lights and other features to dependably integrate.

[This message has been edited by JOHNYREB (edited May 21, 2003).]

Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
We still have quite a few Vodavi 616 Flex systems out there that we service. They all have one thing in common---no voice mail. I really like the little system but even back in the early 90's---92 & 93---I sold them with the stipulation that when voice mail was needed---then another system would have to be purchased.
Not that you can't put something on the system--with Single Line Adapters being purchased for each VM port----the over-all factor is this---the system wasn't made for Voice Mail and ANY voice mail system put on it just won't work like you would want it to. Just my humble opinion. If you only need a few mailboxes--call your local carrier and ask if they have a voice mail service. Use that for a year or two---if you feel that you want more control & features--or you need more mailboxes, then trade in the Flex for a new system with an integrated VM. I think you'd be better off.

RIP Admin
RIP Admin
Jay
You said that they had Voice Mail with it at the original location, they had to of had Single Line Adaptors as Racedog mentioned. My question is why didn't they send the unit with the system? I would have to agree with the other techs on this, if you can't get the one that was with it (I would think it would have been part of the deal) Them it's really not worth your time or trouble to invest in another one that really isn't going to do nothing but give you nightmares. They just weren't built for voice mail.

Russ runs a local service and private tech center.

[Linked Image from sundance-communications.com][/url]
Is it possible the unit on the wall was a Battery backup unit(BBU) instead of VM?

OP Offline
Thanks so much for the quick replies. The 616 voicemail was a third party system and from what you all have said, it must have either used single-line adapters or been even less integrated.

From your responses, we are now looking at a used Vodavi digital 14/28 system configured with 8 lines in and 16 extensions, AVP voicemail (80 hours or so, unlimited mailboxes) with computer, and twelve 1414-71 phones all for under $950 including shipping from California and some phone tech support if needed.

It's supposed to be a good used system in good condition, and I've been impressed with the folks at US Telesystems I've been talking to about this. Does this sound like a good deal to you?

Also, does anyone know about a chip Radio Shack may have produced to make non-Y2K compliant AVP voicemail systems Y2K compliant?

Thanks again for all of your help.

Jay Cordova
Springboard Creative/Atlanta

OP Offline
dtmf,

I never answered your question. Our phone tech brought the previously "working" voicemail "box" in, hooked it up, but never could get it working after much effort. I never was clear on the problems, but I don't recall that he ever tried single-line adapters as part of his efforts.

But like I said, you all have convinced to look into the used system with truly integrated voicemail.

OP Offline
Hate to keep bugging you, but any advice on selling our 616 FLEX system? Incoming line 2 is inoperative, leaving only 5 lines. We have 12 phones - 10 "enhanced" and two "executive" - all in fine condition and black. System works great, very reliable. I've been advised it may be best to donate the sytem for a tax deduction of $700-$800 instead of trying to sell it. What might you do if you were me?

Sincerely,

Jay

OP Offline
JOHNNYREB,

Turns out I was confused and the other box was actually an older office phone system that the owner removed. After our first lengthy power failure, I put our 616 system on a 600W UPS system and that's worked great during subsequent lengthy power failures.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  EV607797, JWRacedog, MnDave, nfcphoneman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,796 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (hitechcomm, nortelvoip), 164 guests, and 240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024