web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#20869 12/06/08 10:03 PM
OP Offline
On new construction, how much do you guys find yourselves interacting with other trades, and how do you go about it? I dunno about outside of hotels, but istm that there is often a lack of communication between various tradespeople. To give an example:

We're doing a job in NC. We work for the owner, not the GC. Owner tells us what he wants. No problem, right? Well, except he forgot to tell the electricians or GC about the changes. Chris, the head electrician on site, was a bit miffed to find he had to run new lines into the conference room, one for our overhead projector, and one for our speaker amp. Basically, his 'change order' went through me, not his boss, and not the GC. We talked a bit more, and he asked about my access points. I told him they were PoE, so he didn't need to wire in outlets in the ceiling. Much relief there.

Chris is a good guy and a competent sparky.... but what if he had made a big issue out of the changes needed to make my gear work? Who do I go to then? His boss, my boss, the GC, sup or the owner?

I'd say ~30% of the sites I'm on have contractor's meetings on a weekly basis. Anyone had similar experiences, and how do you get things resolved?

Jack

The question is more important than the answer.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Well using your example, I just notify the customer that if they expect the amp and projector to work they will need power. As a matter of professional courtesy I also inform sparky that he should expect a request from someone in the chain of command. He then has the option to be proactive or just wait till he is contacted. That is his business but at least he appreciates the heads up.

When game day comes the power is either there or not, what more can you do?

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
First, I would mention it to the EC to see if it is on his plans and tell him we're going to need it. I also mention the need to the GC since it is his job site. However, on a job site I have no authority to give another trade, or the GC a change order in any fashion, so my only obligation is to inform the customer.

It's just a simple professional courtesy to mention the add-on to the GC/EC. They should be paid for these changes and the only way that will happen is if the owner submits a RFC to the proper people.

I feel your pain, Jack. We're always the red-headed step child on job sites since we work for the customer, not the contractor.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
I've found that first and foremost, you should make friends with the site superintendent for the GC. Once that relationship is off to a good start, track down the electrical contractor's foreman and do the same. They can be your best friend or your worst enemy, so it's best to be proactive.

You really don't have to worry about the plumbing or HVAC guys since their rough work is usually done before we can even set foot on the property. Besides, they are usually in the bathrooms or on the roof anyway.

Extras should always be brought to the attention of your customer first. Let them contact the GC about it. Then, you go and give the superintendent and the EC a heads-up so that they are prepared. They'll appreciate your following the proper chain of command and preventing them from being blindsided. Don't forget that you need these guys a lot more than they need you, so making friends early-on in the game is surely your best bet.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
I can't add any better advice than what has been given. I use all of these on most all of the construction jobs i work on. Like they said theothers EC and GC can be your best freind or worst nightmare. Start off on the right foot.

Mike

Moderator-Avaya
Moderator-Avaya
Yep, the GC and Electrician are the first two people I make contact with on the job site.

Usually at the end of the job we trade business cards and leave being friends. Which in return we will put a plug in for each other on future jobs.

Avaya SMB Authorized Business Partner. ACIS/APSS
ESI Certified Reseller/Installer
www.regal-comm.com
I had some interesting experiences summer of 07 when I wired a building for a customer of mine...I worked directly for them and not for the GC. I was allowed to use ladders and lifts that were on site so I did have to coordinate with plumbers, HVAC, etc.
I also had to deal with the electricians who barely spoke english...I really did not run into too many issues, aside from a few additional locations they needed me to run wire to that did not have boxes and stubs installed...
I also did a bit of work with the alarm guys, I ran the wire and installed the RJ31X jacks for the fire and burglar alarm panels.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
OP Offline
Thanks for all the great replies everybody.

nfcphoneman: Is it customary/standard for telecom/data people to work under the owner and not the GC? Doing hotels almost exclusively, I thought perhaps that was an exception rather than the rule.

You're right that we're the red headed step children... especially for those of us with red hair.

The question is more important than the answer.
Since I started on my own 18 years ago, I may have worked for the GC two times. So yes, it is customary to work directly for the customer, at least in my neck of the woods.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Originally posted by Fletcher:
Thanks for all the great replies everybody.

nfcphoneman: Is it customary/standard for telecom/data people to work under the owner and not the GC? Doing hotels almost exclusively, I thought perhaps that was an exception rather than the rule.

You're right that we're the red headed step children... especially for those of us with red hair.
After 40+ years in the business I don't think I have EVER worked for the GC on a Telecom job, and only rarely - if ever on an Electrical job (maybe once or twice in all the years).

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,109 Shoretel
187,715 CTX100 install
186,806 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 7
pvj 4
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 142 guests, and 414 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024