web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
I have Starplus STS and I am trying to deploy Asterisk to work with it. Did anyone here do it?
Potential problems, suggestions, is it possible at all? Even though I use STS for 3+ years (can make changes in programming myself for the most part) and play with Asterisk for quite a while I am still very new in telephony. My reasoning for such project is: save my investments into Vodavi equipment, have Vodavi stuff as my back up. Since I am just starting I will have lots of questions...Thanks in advance to those who can help!

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

What is the reasoning to using an IP system in the first place? The STS (for the most part) is a rock solid product for a business application that is not in need of IP features. If you are looking for a true replacement for a digital key system, I believe the Asterisk will fall short for you. However, you could make it work. For deploying it alongside the STS I have not herd of that, but others here can probobly help you out more.

Steve

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Welcome to the board, Oleg! I don't think you'll find a lot of help for configuring the Asterisk on this site. Most of the participants on this site are telecom professionals and quite frankly, don't have the time to mess with Asterisk.

However, you could use a couple of ATA's (Sipura, Cisco, etc...) to connect to a CO port on the STS. Good luck.

OP Offline
Thank you for all answers / opinions.

I totally agree: STS is a rock solid product and I love it. There are at least two reasons why I want Asterisk to work for me as well.
1. STS has limitations 24 CO's 48 STA right? By deploying Asterisk I can go beyond this.
2. Other locations of our company has to be a part of our phone set up. Meaning people there would have extensions just like in central office.
I could continue...
On the other hand, as I said in my original post, I do not want to waste money and time we invested into Vodavi. Again I like this rock solid product (STS). It is a good back up solution if something goes wrong with Asterisk.
Since STS can work with PBX/Centrex and Asterisk is a PBX I suspect that it is possible to make them work together.

Admin
Admin
welcome Oleg good luck with your project. You may have to bounce between the Vodavi and Voip forums to get your answers. There are a few people here that work with Asterisk and lots of Vodavi help. Intergrating the systems together is new for most people I am trying to learn that process myself. Ask what questions you have and keep us posted maybe we'll all learn something. :thumb:

Merritt

Business Telephones & Equipment + Commercial Audio/Video Products
Commercial Communications . . . Turner, Maine
If it was built after 1980 don't expect it to work right.
OP Offline
Oh! BTW I did configure Asterisk. I do have a live working setup in two locations looking like one office. The question was about how to make it working with STS. I guess if those telecom professionals would find time to mess with it they would be impressed with what Asterisk has to offer.

OP Offline
Thanks metelcom! I just today was talking to the guy who helps me with STS (when I can't find solution myself - today it was no documented [644] function) about the integration and he said that he doesn't see it to be a problem. So next week or so I expect myself to try it - I'll inform on progress. Did you do anything already to make it work? Any suggestions? Mistakes to avoid? Thanks again!

Admin
Admin
I am just setting up my first 2 boxes. My main goal is to use the Asterisk for auto attendant/voicemail and Voip to remote extensions.
I beleive there are two ways you can intergrate with the STS

FXS port in Asterisk going to CO port on STS
FXO port in Asterisk connected to SLT port on STS

Merritt

Business Telephones & Equipment + Commercial Audio/Video Products
Commercial Communications . . . Turner, Maine
If it was built after 1980 don't expect it to work right.
OP Offline
Yes this is the way I am going to do this
> FXS port in Asterisk going to CO port on STS
and again acording to my outside STS consultant it should work just fine and then it will be only the matter of configuring the right way the dial plan in asterisk (extensions.conf) and assigning ringing stations on STS which may be challenging depending on the goals I (well - you)
have in mind. I'll keep posts here...

Oleg,did you ever have any luck setting this up. I have a STS with one SLT hanging off of it going to a Asterisk server. I then have 8 lines off that at home offices.

Currently the home offices can call outside CO lines or internal extensions without a problem. However, Internal extentions on the STS system cannot call the voip lines.

I planned on fixing this by setting up a incoming calls conf for asterisk that will answer incoming calls. Then tell the person to dial an extension.

So for Internal STS users to call a VoIP user they will have to first dial the SLT extension then it will prompt for the voip extension they want. Kinda cludgy but think it will work. Only big problem I have with integration between Asterisk and STS is callerid don't work on SLT ports frown

Please advise if you got anywhere with your solution.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  EV607797, JWRacedog, MnDave, nfcphoneman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,285
Posts638,781
Members49,766
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,755 Shoretel
188,942 CTX100 install
187,190 1a2 system
Newest Members
James D., Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick
49,765 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 5
dexman 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 129 guests, and 182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024