Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Weasel Offline OP
OP Offline
We have a Starplus 96EX phone system and until the boss buys a new system I have to keep this one limping down the road. We have 8 lines coming into the office but when it gets to the phones, only 2 work. I have checked all the outside lines coming into the building, made sure the cards were seated correctly and rebooted the system.What else could I do to fix this?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
How many station cards do you have? That's a pretty big system to only have two working phones. Have you tried moving KIB cards around to get more of them working? The one farthest to the left begins with X100 and each card provides service for 12 stations. If you don't have spare KIB's to swap, they are relatively inexpensive on the secondary market, in fact I believe I have a few left if you need to rent one to test. They also aren't expensive to have repaired.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Admin
Admin
Ed I read that post as he has 8 incoming lines but only 2 lines work at the sets. I think his issue could be a card as you suggest, loose amphenol, missing bridge clips or perhaps even station programming. :shrug:

[Linked Image]
Weasel Offline OP
OP Offline
As "rather be fishing" said, it's not the stations that don't work it is the incoming lines, they have gone in and out 4 times throughout today. But they all worked last Friday.

Admin
Admin
If it is happening frequently I would test the line at the demarc when it appears dead at the set to eliminate line issues. If good at the Demarc I would hope there is a spare CO line card that you roll into the first position to see if that fixes the issue. You may have to get a spare CO card if you don't have one on site for testing.

[Linked Image]
Then in that case, we are probably dealing with a failing COB card. Same suggestion stands; if you have a spare to swap the CO line cards, then that should be your first approach. The same offer also stands if you need to rent one for testing purposes, I have a few of them as well. I seriously doubt that the processor card, which is about the only other denominator here, to be the issue. If it was failing, your problems would be much more widespread. It's a pretty predicatable system, but at that age, I suppose that anything can happen.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Weasel Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm sorry I am not a phone guy so bare with me. What is a demarc? Also I think we have four cards(in the PBX box), but no extras. Can I swap positions of co cards? Would that help until I get a new card or phone sysytem?

Demarc is the point where the telephone company's responsibility ends for the line and where the customer's begins. This is also referred to as a NID or Network Interface Device. It usually has an orange cover on it for indoor installations but can be pretty much anything if the lines come in and are terminated outside. Yes, you can flip the CO cards (they have white handles) to see if the problem follows. To swap their physical system responsiblity for port assignments, that requires more intense work. This is more of a technician-level requirement.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Weasel Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you EV I will check the lines at the demarc and then try the cards and see what happens. If anyone knows of a tech that is in this area please let me know. That is the reason I am the temp phone guy because I haven't been able to find anyone in this area that knows how to work on Vodavi at all.

I assume you checked the telephone installers link at the top of the page? They may not be listed as Vodavi dealers, but that doesn't mean they can't work on them. You'll just have to ask them.

Retired phone dude
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  EV607797, JWRacedog, MnDave, nfcphoneman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,285
Posts638,781
Members49,766
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,759 Shoretel
188,956 CTX100 install
187,197 1a2 system
Newest Members
James D., Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick
49,765 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 5
dexman 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
1 members (Professor Shadow), 135 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024