web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#211919 08/22/07 04:37 AM
Deltron Offline OP
Retired Moderator
OP Offline
Retired Moderator
I have a customer with a Triad 1 that I cannot get the CID to work. It works fine in my office but not at their site. Single line CID devices work, a Comdial DX-80 works but no serial output on the 9 port CID box in this location. I'm properly grounded, no AC ripple and no detectable RF. I'm at a loss. I've tried 3 different units that work OK in my office but no output at their location.

Anybody have an old 1480-00 they wish to let go reasonably or any good ideas as to what might be going on?

Thanks, Bill.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#211920 08/22/07 06:02 AM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Is caller ID programmed as "enabled" in flash 56 on the Triad 1? Also, is the baud rate set properly in flash 15 for the serial port that you are using to match the rate on the CID unit?

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#211921 08/22/07 09:27 AM
Deltron Offline OP
Retired Moderator
OP Offline
Retired Moderator
Maybe I was unclear in my post. This has nothing to do with the telephone system. I shouldn't even have mentioned it. There is no output on the serial port at this location, regardless of the baud rate setting (hooked to my lap top). The identical units work perfectly in my office. A temped in Comdial DX-80 works, a single line phone with caller ID works, a Radio Shack caller ID box works, the 9 port CID box doesn't.

This makes no sense.

--Bill.

#211922 08/22/07 10:01 AM
Are you testing it with the same laptop at the site? The reason that I ask is that this CID unit requires that pins 7 & 8 be shorted together on the system end of the cable in order to output data.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#211923 08/22/07 11:31 AM
Deltron Offline OP
Retired Moderator
OP Offline
Retired Moderator
I'm using the same laptop and the Vodavi provided cable. I've even used different cables including a shielded one (Vodavi's isn't). The issue is the box works at my office, not at the customer's site. I haven't had any troubles with these units on the many dozens of DHS and Triad systems I've installed with them for a number of years until now. I think it has something to do with the LEC but I have no idea what.

I'm guessing that the 9 port CID unit may not be able to process the telco data stream if it sees a null character or a slightly nonstandard data stream whereas the DX-80 or the SLT units don't care.

This is not, and I repeat, not, a problem with improper installation, faulty cables, laptops or stupid installers. Something at the site prevents the 9 port CID unit from processing the CID data. What I'm trying to find out is it possible the LEC is outputting something that the 9 port box doesn't like yet the DX-80 or a SLT CID device has no problem with? The LEC has a Siemens CO switch which I have zero experience with. I don't believe any LEC/CLEC in Kansas City uses anything other than a 5ESS or a DMS switch. Maybe there is something different about the Siemens switch.

As best as I can tell:

It's not RF (field strength meter reads zero)
It's not grounding
It's not AC ripple on the telco lines (O-scope show no AC)
It's not the serial cable
It's not a specific unit failure

I'm at a loss. Maybe a CO switch technician might have an idea, I know I'm out of them and I've been messing around with this off and on for a couple of months.

--Bill.

#211924 08/22/07 11:54 AM
I am at a loss as well. The last thing that I can think of is the presence of solid-state protector modules or LED "in-use" bridging clips on the connected lines. I had a very similar problem at my home with a Panasonic system. I was using the ITW Linx clear bridging clips that had an LED inside of them.

For some reason, whatever was getting through from our DMS office was good enough to operate an external caller ID box. I couldn't get it to work on the Panasonic card to save my life, to the extent that they were ready to send a technical support guy out to check it. On a whim, I replaced these with standard bridging clips and it worked fine.

I have seen some of ITW's solid state protector modules cause this same problem on various other systems. Just a thought to try before you pull the rest of your hair out.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#211925 08/22/07 02:28 PM
Deltron Offline OP
Retired Moderator
OP Offline
Retired Moderator
I actually checked this. The telco is using standard gas tube protectors and I had them check for bridges, half taps or load coils on the lines.

This is the first thing I've been totally stumped on since I started in this business in '71.

It's probably something stupid simple I'm not seeing.

--Bill.

#211926 08/24/07 01:14 AM
take a caller id capabable modem and watch the stream come in at the office and then do the same
at the site and compare the two!you may want to ring from same number
i use a rochelle caller id plug for diagnostics
watch the hex data com in with hyperterminal.

#211927 08/28/07 04:14 AM
If I remember correctly, the cable that comes with the unit will not work directly connected to a laptop. I beleive you need a 9 pin null modem cable to test with a laptop.

"I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken"
#211928 09/06/07 01:12 PM
Deltron Offline OP
Retired Moderator
OP Offline
Retired Moderator
I found an old 1480 CID box laying around and installed it at the customer's location. It works perfectly.

I'm at a total loss as to why the 9 port absolutely won't work in this location. Regardless, the customer is taken care of.

--Bill.

Moderated by  EV607797, JWRacedog, MnDave, nfcphoneman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,709 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 12
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 101 guests, and 252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024